Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Monarch bolt removal?

BSA Monarch bolt removal?

Hi all,

Just bought what I believe to be a BSA Monarch in .270. For the life of me I now can't get the bolt out or remember how to

Could someone please put me on the right track?

Thanks in advance
    Chris

OK, more wiggling than I thought required (of the safety, that is!) Seems like the safety needs to be "half on, half off", with a bit of a wiggle.

I assume that's correct, as it does seem to release.

Sorry for the thread cluttering!
    Chris

Hmmm I don't know what your doing but on the Monarch you lift the bolt handle and draw it back about 1" the you press the trigger forwards...towards the muzzle and withdraw the bolt. It can take more pressure than you might expect but that's it on the 1st pattern Monarch. I am not sure about teh 2nd Pattern Monarch, this one does not have the dovetailed receiver, but on the CF2 it's the same as the older Majestic you lift the bolt handle and again open the bolt about 1" then holding the trigger to the rear you withdraw the bolt.

The safety needs to be off and your problem is most likely caused by someone adjusting the trigger incorrectly.

I hope that is helpful.

Thanks for the reply. I'm beginning to think my research was wrong and that it may be a CF2 as Wikipedia lists bolt removal as "pushing the safety half way off".

I think I may have to take some pics and see what you guys think...
    Chris

What does the back of the bolt look like as most models of BSA rifles have slight variations of type ot bolt I was looking on gun trader at a BSA advertised as a CF2 which was an early hunter by the shape of the bolt but Brithunter has more knowledge than I do even though I have 3 BSA's.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Hmmm just goes to show Wiki is not right always anyway here is a phot essay which may help you a bit:-

Very late model majestic with side safety

Normal majestic bolt shroud and safety lever (1959 vintage)

1st Pattern Monarch of 68 vintage.

This is a CF2 half stock however although the photo is not that clear it has the angular bolt shroud of the late Monarch and not the smooth rounded one usually associated with the CF2 model

Very old photo of the CF2 stutzen and a Swedish Mauser.

One thing you soon learn about BSA's is that nothing is cast in stone about them it makes learning about them interesting and frustrating too.

Oh yes BSA instructions shipped witht he CF2 says of bolt removal:-

To remove the bolt, pull the trigger and, retaining pressure on the trigger, withdraw the bolt.

Wiki is wrong!

I've had majestics, monarchs and cf2's, I thought they were all squeeze trigger and draw out??

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    I've had majestics, monarchs and cf2's, I thought they were all squeeze trigger and draw out??
    I got caught out with that thinking too. Went to look at one at Joe Beathams Gunshop East Barnet and the bolt wouldn't come out. Joe popped it out fist try the accountants cutting production costs had the triggers simplified as the models progressed so the later ones are not as good IMHO as the early ones which could be adjusted to make the two stage even. Both my 1st Pattern Monarchs require the trigger to be pushed forwards as does the light coloured stock late model Majestic in .243 in the montage .... Just got it out to check as I could not remember which way that one was .

Thanks for the extensive info guys. To save further speculation I'll fire up the camera tomorrow and let the jury decide.

On the bolt removal front - the trigger does not move forward at all. The only way to remove the bolt is to withdraw it with the safety half-on half-off.

My brain hurts - bedtime I think. Better luck tomorrow
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by charliefox View Post
    Thanks for the extensive info guys. To save further speculation I'll fire up the camera tomorrow and let the jury decide.

On the bolt removal front - the trigger does not move forward at all. The only way to remove the bolt is to withdraw it with the safety half-on half-off.

My brain hurts - bedtime I think. Better luck tomorrow
    You will not feel the trigger moving in my experience when you push it forwards it moves that little. The fact that the safety must be manlipulated confirms my suspicion that someone has adjusted the trigger and the sear engagement is incorrect. The sear engagement effects the safety engagement and the older BSA trigger units have a sear adjustment screw.

Recently I acquired a Midland 2100 on which the trigger had been played with and set to just over 1lb pull. Far too light for my liking on a hunting rifle where gloves might be worn. The Timney type the P-H fitted has an adjustment range of 2 1/2 lbs to 5 lbs and no matter how I tried the heaviest pull I can achieve is just under 2 lbs but it now has some creep so someone has been at the sear etc I will have a look and see what they have done and see if I can correct their meddling. Some folks should leave well alone.

charliefox I would not trust that trigger in it's current state as something is wrong with it. You might try washing it out with carb/injector or brake cleaner as it's possible some muck has built uup over the years and is interfearing with the sears free movement? Some people will insist of oiling triggers .