tell me about over the barrell mod's

User00003

ok, so with a 26" barrell that's not being cut down, clearly a mod would make it a bit of a poking stick, so what are the options for 'over the barrell' type of mods? +/-'ves, etc.?

Are they basically not just brakes where the sound is directed back along the barrell, but maintained within a casing?,,oh, it will ruin the barrell look too, right?

any thoughts appreciated..

The reflex, over barrel type, require careful fitting of the supporting rear bush it seems. Some makes appear more critical on this than others. I am no expert only having been using and playing with a Wildcat P8 for a bit over a year now. They all extend the barrel length slightly some as much as 4" or 5". Now back to the bush if it's fitted tightly or allowed to rub the barrel exterior when fitting and removing it will mark the barrel a look at some used rifles that have had them fitted will bear this out.

The Muzzle brake recoil reducing effect is a benefit but moderators are designed to reduce or moderate the muzzle blast and noise.

Now to my mind yes they do spoil the lines of the barrel and of a nice rifle and they do spoil the handling too.

Last edited:
The reflez, over barrel type, require careful fitting of the supporting rear bush it seems. Some makes appear more critical on this than others. I am no expert only having been using and playing with a Wildcat P8 for a bit over a year now. They all extend the barrel length slightly some as much as 4" or 5". Now back tot he bush if it's fitted tightly or allowed to rub the barrel exterior when fitting and removing it will mark the barrel a look at some used rifles that have had them fitted will bear this out.

The Muzzle brake recoil reducing effect is a benefit but moderators are designed to reduce or moderate the muzzle blast and noise.

Now to my mind yes they do spoil the lines of the barrel and of a nice rifle and they do spoil the handling too.

Hi BH
Unless of course you get a Northstar which does not have a rear bush
Geordie

Hi BH
Unless of course you get a Northstar which does not have a rear bush
Geordie
i have just got a ase northstar and have two t8 s the t8s both wore blue from the barrels a northstar has no bush so wont. i did spray it as it was a bit bright .they both tame down both blast and noise you do get used to handling the extra weight the shorter barrel length suits these heavy mods .the aluminium type mods may suit the longer barrel better

As I said I am no expert with sound Mods and have never seem the Northstar moderator. As for all alooy mods I am dubious about their life expentancy in use after looking at the blasst pitting and errosion on the stainless blast baffle on my P8. If that was alloy methinks I would be looking at replacement now after only 15 months. OK it seems shoot more than a lot of people as the P8 has had 500+ rounds through it already.

Most reflex mods are heavy and make the rifle "nose heavy". They do spoil the handling and looks of the rifle, those with a rear bush will spoil the blueing on your rifle. If i were to buy a reflex mod now I would be looking at the Third Eye Spartan (450g) http://www.thirdeyetactical.com/thirdeye_website2_006.htm which are modular and aluminium with stainless blast baffles. If you wanted to buy just a muzzle mounted aluminium can, you have the choice of the Jager, ASE or the Roedale. The Roedale has optional stainless steel blast baffles if you buy the mid weight model (475g) whereas the aluminium light model is between 200g-250g, the ASE weighs 220g.

Simon

Last edited:
Back