Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's the bets on this variation then....

what's the bets on this variation then....

In short, don't want to fanny about with trying to source .375 h&h expanding ammo when abroad next time because last time was a joke. No chance of getting some last time in bulgaria but Dr Spin saved the day Also will be taking the shotgun with red dot sight so same deal with the need for slugs in advance. Got letters and evidence to show definate need.

So a variation for expanding .375 and slugs has gone in...... place your bets.

Baring in mind that last summer I was told no chance!

Variation, surely it is just a change of conditions
    Good luck anyway

Neil.

Should'nt be a problem for 375 expanding or was'nt for me its all i use !! don't know about slugs for shotgun i thought you could just buy them "

Good luck !

Paul
    just move over to the dark side ,Cumbria and as small furry rodent says simples.
    .But maybe a long shot over the border with D&G best of luck though hope you said pleaseeeeee

Bob.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

haha yeh cumbria are fairly good

Paul,

Did they give a reason for the outright refusal last time around?

Any reference made to not wanting to comply with this part of chapter 13.35 of the HO Guidance?

Some rifles intended for
    antelope and other Plains Game may also
    be suitable for deer, boar or other quarry
    shooting in this country. Calibres such as
    the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
    those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
    but may, once initial “good reason” has been
    established, also be used for shooting the
    larger deer species in Britain. Expanding
    ammunition may also be authorised for an
    applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle
    also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.

Seems pretty straightforward doesn't it?

yeh but I pointed exactly this out when I applied for the .375 but they have this little 'rule' here where you have to evidence the good reason is genuine first before they will even consider anything but solids for zeroing only. Even getting solids for testing and zeroing was a hassle.

Obviously though you need to test and zero any gun before you hunt and ideally with the correct ammo type you intent to use in the field. That's all I want, much simpler and piece of mind that when I get there there's plenty of rounds packed for the trip. Fingers crossed though.

Good luck with this one.... sounds like you've got a right jobsworth there.

I thought you boys over the wall had it easy
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    yeh but I pointed exactly this out when I applied for the .375 but they have this little 'rule' here where you have to evidence the good reason is genuine first before they will even consider anything but solids for zeroing only. Even getting solids for testing and zeroing was a hassle.
    That's a strange one!

I would have thought that you had already satisfied the initial or primary good reason for possession of the rifle in the first place i.e. big game/boar abroad. Presumably you can more than justify any secondary use on 'large deer' in the UK to meet the requirements of 13.35 HO Guidance? After that, expanding ammo for UK use should be a foregone conclusion - unless they want to encourage you to commit offences under the Deer Acts!

Have BASC said anything positive? If not then Ian from SACS looks to be putting himself about a bit for the membership.
    Last edited by Orion; 02-03-2011 at 08:42.

BASC's Colin Sheddon had a word with them and he was able to get better explanations from them. Basically they said to him but not to me that once a hunter has been abroad with a 'dangerous game rife' they might consider expanding ammo, and conditioning for deer, boar etc here.

At the time of application for the .375 I was told nobody in this area had a .375 that was conditioned for UK quarry and it was too big in any case for UK hunting. Barry in this area that I bought the rifle from did have it for deer etc and Colin from BASC pointed this out in his chat. That's when there was a bit of progress following that but we can only try.

The best bit and being honest about it I was quite frustrated by the comment was when I was told, 'I don't have a problem with you shooting rabbits with the .308 but you can't shoot deer with the .375' This was from the head of department!