Trapping crows

HoyBoy

I made a large funnel type trap a while ago, been trying to get it working again this spring before the sheep start lambing. I'm having trouble with birds escaping back up the funnel, the original plan says to have a 3' entrance tapering to 2' with the opening 9'' off the ground. This didnt'nt seem to work so i made it shorter, about 3' off the ground and tapered it to 1'. It works better than before but some birds still manage to claw their way back up the funnel to a point where they can spread their wings and fly away. I was thinking to change the whole thing to a ladder type trap to see if it will work better. Not sure how many of you guys use these sort of traps but any advice will be welcome.

The ladder style traps seem to be the most widely used here in Norway. I can see if I can find some plans if you need some.
Toby

Yea that would be good. The critical thing seems to be the size of the spacings of the ladder / funnel part of it and how high off the ground it is, I just can't seem to find a ballance between making it easy enough for them to get in but difficult enough for them not to get out

I made a large funnel type trap a while ago, been trying to get it working again this spring before the sheep start lambing. I'm having trouble with birds escaping back up the funnel, the original plan says to have a 3' entrance tapering to 2' with the opening 9'' off the ground. This didnt'nt seem to work so i made it shorter, about 3' off the ground and tapered it to 1'. It works better than before but some birds still manage to claw their way back up the funnel to a point where they can spread their wings and fly away. I was thinking to change the whole thing to a ladder type trap to see if it will work better. Not sure how many of you guys use these sort of traps but any advice will be welcome.

try a wire "tube" about a foot long and 6 inches across on the bottom of you funnel and make a ladder trap aswell , you cant beat a larsen down here and i make mine a bit bigger for crows

Have you tried putting metal spikes facing into the trap? Just wire them onto the small end of the funnel. They will stop most thing going back out of a funnel.

Cheers folks. It seems there is a fair bit on ladder traps out there, guess they must be the most popular type of large walk-in trap. The one i made is about 6'x8'x6' and is made from the steel frame of an old shed door. It's pretty strong and easy to move with the loader tractor so i'd like to make it work. Thinking i'l take the funnel out and turn it into a ladder trap. All the ladder traps i'v seen have the ladder at the end of a v-shaped section. Is this necessary, would it work if the ladder was flush with the roof of the trap?

i would think so if you dont run the ladder right to the side , wire over the last foot maybe , and hang a 8 inch wire skirt around the bottom edge of the ladder

Cheers folks. It seems there is a fair bit on ladder traps out there, guess they must be the most popular type of large walk-in trap. The one i made is about 6'x8'x6' and is made from the steel frame of an old shed door. It's pretty strong and easy to move with the loader tractor so i'd like to make it work. Thinking i'l take the funnel out and turn it into a ladder trap. All the ladder traps i'v seen have the ladder at the end of a v-shaped section. Is this necessary, would it work if the ladder was flush with the roof of the trap?

it would work but the theory behind the v is so the hop down into the trap is not too high. Too high and they will try to find some lower entry. They also fly into the v rather than towards the ladder to effect escape, As suggested above put a drop skirt rounfnd the ladder to aid the capture as they cannot fly around the top.
Jim

Back