Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: number of guns

hi
    how many rifles can each hunter own in UK and do you have any caliber restriction like france!!
    for example in swden we can only own 5+1 guns for hunting!
    cheers
    daniel
    Last edited by csl; 28-02-2011 at 23:13.

As many as we can convince the police we have a 'need' for. There are absolutely no restriction on the number of huns you may have

I know people with more than 5. There is no need to justify each shotgun - you can have as many as you can store securely.

Hi Daniel

We can theoretically have as many rifles as we want in any calibre with the big proviso that we have to demonstrate the need for each and every one, and show that we have a safe place were we have permission to shoot them BEFORE we can buy them. This is quite a clever catch 22 if you think about it, and makes it very difficult for us to get to the 5 plus 1 you have. There are no calibre restrictions and military calibres are quite popular because ammo tends to be cheaper.

We can't have a self loading (semi-auto) rifle unless it's in .22LR and we can't normally own metallic cartridge pistols in any currrent calibre.

From talking to other shooters I would say that the law is administered in a highly variable way over here with some county Police Forces being much more difficult, dogmatic and heel dragging than others. There is also a very vocal anti-gun lobby over here that is very good at getting the media to whip up hysteria.

Cheers

Howie

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    As many as we can convince the police we have a 'need' for. There are absolutely no restriction on the number of huns you may have

I know people with more than 5. There is no need to justify each shotgun - you can have as many as you can store securely.
    in sweden in order to get weapon licens the hunter should pass an examination in hunting and shooting skill . shotgun, small game rifle, big game rifle,
    do you have mandatory examination in UK too?

Not at present, but the buggers are moving in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Not at present, but the buggers are moving in that direction.
    it is not that bad! it moves the right of ownership of gun out of convincing a police officer to a judicial right of a hunter to own the fire arms he need for various hunting forms and shooting skill test surely decrease the number of wounded games too!

Mate of mine has 3x 22 rf a 223, a 243, a 308 and is looking for a 9.3mm, oh and at last count a dozen shotguns.

3 x 22RF, maybe he has a target rifle, a bolt action sporter and a semi for shorter range night time truck use !!, or has NV gear on one of them. I used to have 2 similar semis in 22LR that could be justified easily.!!. The rest are a balanced arsenal for all occasions, presumably he wants the 9.3 for Africa or similar, he could have a problem being allowed to hold ammo for it in the UK. Friend of mine wanted a .375 for Africa a while ago, Police let him have it after a bit of a fight but would not allow him to hold ammo for it in the UK.

As long as you have a genuine provable reason you should get what you need all things being equal.

A

A

I have 7 at the moment, with good reason for each....

.177 air rifle for squirrels and rats
    .22 air pistol for targets
    .17hmr for rabbits and crows
    .223 for foxes
    .243 for deer
    Semi auto shotgun for pigeons
    O/U shotgun for game and clays

Any more and I'll need a bigger cabinet
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Alycidon View Post
    presumably he wants the 9.3 for Africa or similar, he could have a problem being allowed to hold ammo for it in the UK. Friend of mine wanted a .375 for Africa a while ago, Police let him have it after a bit of a fight but would not allow him to hold ammo for it in the UK.
    Did he have some stalking in the UK? If so it's yet another example of some police FLDs being unable to administer the Firearms Act(s) correctly.

If the primary 'good reason' for possessing a firearm is satisfied - to use your examples 9.3 or .375 for african game or driven boar - then there is no reason why that firearm cannot be used for 'lesser' species. Too many FLOs are using the chart of cartridges/quarry at the end of Chapter 13 of the Home Office Guidance in a purely prescriptive manner, and seem to be unable to comprehend the fact that it it's purpose is merely to assist them in making a judgement on the suitability of a firearm to satisfy the initial 'good reason' for possession. The HO Guidance even states it:

13.7 With the exception of the limits set by
    the Deer Acts and similar legislation, the
    suggested calibres for different quarry species
    are intended as examples of the typical range
    of calibres used rather than prescriptive
    limits
    . In most cases there will be a range of
    broadly similar commercial calibres suitable
    for different quarry (see paragraph 13.8 for
    definition of this term for the purposes of
    this guidance)

Throw in this from section 13.35:

Calibres such as
    the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
    those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
    but may, once initial “good reason” has been
    established, also be used for shooting the
    larger deer species in Britain.

And can anyone tell me why some forces persist in uneccessarily restricting some of these larger calibres? After all you can't get deader than dead for any quarry so it doesn't really matter how big the hole in it is! And if it's public safety that's an issue, then I can only assume they don't think that the user would understand the concept of safe shots, suitable backstop etc. etc. In which case why are they granting possession of any firearm in the first place?
    Last edited by Orion; 01-03-2011 at 10:07.