Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Order to destroy 'invasive' Muntjac deer backed by MSPs

Order to destroy 'invasive' Muntjac deer backed by MSPs

Just happened upon this whilst on the BBC site...

BBC News - Order to destroy Muntjac deer backed by MSPs

Almost as damaging as the poor old rabbit then!,....................... didn't they come from somewhere's over that aways?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Almost as damaging as the poor old rabbit then!
    ...and the grey squirrel and the Canada goose and the ruddy duck and the domestic cat and the zander and the barbel in the Wye and the Taff and the Usk and the Severn and the American mink and the...wait for it...the brown hare
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

I tell you what, I'll do my bit by stopping them getting past my bit of Lancashire. Always willing to help!!

That is if they ever turn up here!!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    I tell you what, I'll do my bit by stopping them getting past my bit of Lancashire. Always willing to help!!

That is if they ever turn up here!!
    They will, and when they do treat them with the respect they deserve, CRACKING little deer

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    They will, and when they do treat them with the respect they deserve, CRACKING little deer

Max
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    barbel in the Wye and the Taff and the Usk and the Severn
    And why are the Barbel damaging, and what to

Neil.

the barbel are eating all the signal crayfish which are eating all the zander eggs

yeh muntjac eat stuff..... wow. Invasive and damaging well, welcome to the real world with us top of the nasty list.

Oh dear

I personally think the reported move by the MSPs is both sad and species-ist. As others in this thread have pointed out, the domestic cat and grey squirrel are also examples of aliens, yet the huggers squeal at the slightest suggestion that they should be exterminated.

Unchecked, muntjac will do damage, but then again unchecked all species of deer will do damage. It's not something muntjac have a particular monopoly on. In my experience here in southern England where we have a large population of muntjac, the species can be effectively managed as well as any other.

The muntjac is not some Wyndham-esque monster about to overrrun the British Isles. To suggest otherwise is in my view silly and ignorant scaremongering.

...and as a subscript that occurred to me after I had posted, what does the British Deer Society have to say on the matter?
    Last edited by KevinF; 02-03-2011 at 13:45. Reason: subscript
    KevinF -