Thread: hmr winchester rounds

hmr winchester rounds

Sorry not stalking relating.

just after new years i was out with my cz17, i had a lucky escape from what i deduce was the primer firing but not the load. the bullet was dislodged and stuck in the rifling. i had finished zeroing some other rifles and i still had ear defenders on at the time so i thought i had a total misfire. when i looked around for the ejected round i had only casing in the area and i thought it was lost in the long grass. i tried to chamber another round only to find the bolt wouldnt close and upon further inspection the barrel was blocked. i put it down to experience and didnt think much more about it.

this afternoon i decided to fire a few shots from the 17 finishing off about 10 rounds from the previous box without any problems. The first round out of the second of two boxes of winchester supreme 17 ammo did the exact same thing. This time i had no ear defenders on and the round was a defininte misfire. the rim was nicked and the powder was still in the casing when i ejected it, only the powder seemed not be loose in the casing as such almost as though it was a slightly sticky. the bullet is lodged in the barrel again.

just a word of warning to any one using winchesters in the cz style, possibly the COL is a little on the long side for the cz and engaging well into the rifling, misfires when ejected are causing the bullet to be pulled from the case. this is the only explanation i have but am open to opinions. I normally use hornady rounds and have never experienced any problems at all.

regards
    keith

I had heard something along these lines but with Remington ammunition! I believe some / most HMR ammo is made by the same manufacturer(?) I use Hornady 17grn in my HMR with no problems to date so fingers crossed!

ATB

Tom

Hornady for me too never a problem, and now i don't think i will ever change !!

Used Hornady from day one so will definitely not change!

I have a mate who uses the Remington's so I'll warn him.

I was always under the impression that .17HMR ammo was made in the same factory.

Cheers

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Hi chaps,
    Cheers for the warning KSB, duly noted and will be passed around.
    I too use hornady 17gn V-MAX in my CZ 452 American, they are spot on accurate and i love 'em, now here's the question - When i bought the 17hmr, i was told that they were a "bit much for rabbits" and that if i wanted to eat what i shot i'd be better using my 22lr as the 17 would obliterate them, having shot in exess of 200 rabbits now, i've acctually found that the Hornady's do not blow the rabbits up? i've omly thrown away two rabbits (top spine shots) and to be honest every now and again i have to chuck the odd one away with the 22lr, anybody else have the same experiance?

Tikkat3

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Hi chaps,
    Cheers for the warning KSB, duly noted and will be passed around.
    I too use hornady 17gn V-MAX in my CZ 452 American, they are spot on accurate and i love 'em, now here's the question - When i bought the 17hmr, i was told that they were a "bit much for rabbits" and that if i wanted to eat what i shot i'd be better using my 22lr as the 17 would obliterate them, having shot in exess of 200 rabbits now, i've acctually found that the Hornady's do not blow the rabbits up? i've omly thrown away two rabbits (top spine shots) and to be honest every now and again i have to chuck the odd one away with the 22lr, anybody else have the same experiance?

Tikkat3
    BUMMER!, you mean you don't eat the heads??
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Tikka. I try and head shoot all my rabbits, so not too much of an issue, but the HMR is certainly a little more 'messy' compared with the 22RF! I can usually find a home for a 22RF chest shot rabbit, but a body shot with the HMR and it's usually dog and ferret food, maybe for the occasional salvaged back end.

ATB

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ksb View Post
    Sorry not stalking relating.

just after new years i was out with my cz17, i had a lucky escape from what i deduce was the primer firing but not the load. the bullet was dislodged and stuck in the rifling. i had finished zeroing some other rifles and i still had ear defenders on at the time so i thought i had a total misfire. when i looked around for the ejected round i had only casing in the area and i thought it was lost in the long grass. i tried to chamber another round only to find the bolt wouldnt close and upon further inspection the barrel was blocked. i put it down to experience and didnt think much more about it.

this afternoon i decided to fire a few shots from the 17 finishing off about 10 rounds from the previous box without any problems. The first round out of the second of two boxes of winchester supreme 17 ammo did the exact same thing. This time i had no ear defenders on and the round was a defininte misfire. the rim was nicked and the powder was still in the casing when i ejected it, only the powder seemed not be loose in the casing as such almost as though it was a slightly sticky. the bullet is lodged in the barrel again.

just a word of warning to any one using winchesters in the cz style, possibly the COL is a little on the long side for the cz and engaging well into the rifling, misfires when ejected are causing the bullet to be pulled from the case. this is the only explanation i have but am open to opinions. I normally use hornady rounds and have never experienced any problems at all.

regards
    keith
    I had the same with remmy ammo in a CZ and it happened twice with a couple of misfires too. I only used remmy as the RFD was out of Hornady but I'm pretty sure that all 17HMR ammo is made in the same factory. Perhaps Muir could confirm this.

I use Hornadys in my CZ .17hmr and have never had a problem. Thanks for the heads up! Ill be sure not to use any other brands.

ATB

Rob
    243Sako

I have a had the same problems with Remington & Winchester hmr ammo in the past, misfire with a bullet jammed just in to the rifling.
    In my case, also a CZ I found the primer has just enough power to leave the bullet just in to the barrel.
    The chambe is not short, and if I eject an unfired round there are no marks on the bullet.

Neil.