Thread: would you accept

would you accept

would you accept a slightly bigger group at 100 yds, that retained better grouping at 200 and 300 yds, or would you prefer a tight group at 100 yds that opens up a bit more over the longer distances / next 100 to 200 yds?

I'm asking because I have two almost identical groups, one with a low charge, and one with a high charge. I'm thinking that going with the higher charge will give me a flatter round and less drop, but am not liking the violent explosive feeling when I pull the trigger. I am also thinking that the higher charge will make my HP's expand too much, and create almost a BT situation on roe, rather than penetrate.

thoughts?

Let's be brutally honest here any rifle combination that will reliably place it's shots inside 1 1/2" at 100 yards will take any deer you are likely to want too. if that load happens to group betetr at 200 and 300 yards than a tighter grouping one at 100 yards it's simple choice in my book. It's claimed by some that bullets don't fully stabilise until 300 yards. As I do fully understand the ballistics and find it's calculations beyond my capabilty I take them on their word until it's proved otherwise.

However if I could not hold a grouping of under 4" at 200 yards then I would be worrying seriously that something was wrong. It should normally be under 3 1/2" at 200 yards from a rested position even a field position.

I'm with you on this one, Kev. I would add that if you have a stable bullet of good design, your groups should be rather linear between 100 and 200 yards. It's usually the shooter's ability and environmental issues (wind, light) that causes disproportionately large groups between 100 and 200 yards. ~Muir

As above. All depends on how far out your likely to be shooting. Over the past few weeks ive developed an excellent round (129g SST with max Varget load), at the range which grouped apx half inch at 100 yards and sub 1inch at 200 yards I shot my first deer last weekend. 1 inch high at 100 yards agev apx 1.5 inch low at 200 yards. I shot my first deer on Saturday on a woodland stalk at apx 65 yards. Yes I was confident with the round but did I really need such an accurate and powerful round for that stalk. Nope. The deer was hit in the lungs and dropped within 5 yards and although the ribs were bruised (apx 6 inches on exit) I had no meat damage.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    would you accept a slightly bigger group at 100 yds, that retained better grouping at 200 and 300 yds, or would you prefer a tight group at 100 yds that opens up a bit more over the longer distances / next 100 to 200 yds?

I'm asking because I have two almost identical groups, one with a low charge, and one with a high charge. I'm thinking that going with the higher charge will give me a flatter round and less drop, but am not liking the violent explosive feeling when I pull the trigger. I am also thinking that the higher charge will make my HP's expand too much, and create almost a BT situation on roe, rather than penetrate.

thoughts?
    Two thoughts:

1. How much velocity difference between the two loads, unless it's in the order of 200 fps, you'll be pressed to notice the difference in tradjectory out to 400 yards.

2. Half an inch is half an inch and two is is two. Bear with me for a moment here but the point is that the the group at 100 is always going to be smaller than the group at 200 ( practically speaking ) so you go for the load that gives you acceptable deer vital sized groups at the distances you shoot them.

Are you using the hollowpoint Gamekings?