Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bell gun

bell gun

A mate has found a .310 bell gun boxed as new with ammo and mallet , how do you go about keeping it ?

Apply for an RFD licence
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

or humane despatch, but it needs to get on ticket through the proper process.
    We used to have one of these in the house for years, interesting looking things dad is a vet and used it for humane despatch of most things, cows and horses and roadside deer. Very effective and certainly less appealing to steal than a hand gun

I hated the things. You need one hand to hold the barrel and another to hit the top. OK if the animal isn't moving much. Often felt .310 wasn't enough with some big cows.

hi,

for those whom dont know....

Untitled Document

whow museum piece any pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    I hated the things. You need one hand to hold the barrel and another to hit the top. OK if the animal isn't moving much. Often felt .310 wasn't enough with some big cows.
    Then its going in the wrong place.
    infinitely better than the bolt gun in the article above

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    We still have one 'on ticket' but it hasn't been used for many, many years.

How old is the bell gun? Was it made before 1939?

I think .310 is considered an obsolete calibre, but I'll have to check. If you drop the ammo, have no intention of using it, it was made before 1939 and is an antique you can keep it as a curiosity under section 58 (2) of the firearms act. But I would have to read up to confirm all this. It would fall under the same category as our old rook gun.

what happened was , my mates mother did all the work for a local foxhound pack during the war when all the men were away . She died recently and they found this boxed with a box of ammo 5 fired cases and the mallet with 5 dents in it , its in as new condition . I thought about deactivating the ammo so they can keep it all together

Sounds like it is an antique, I'd feel happy keeping it if I where you as long as I didn't have live ammo. Google section 58 (2) and have a read.