Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mannlicher pro hunter

Mannlicher pro hunter

Hi lads/ladies,

was wondering if anyone has any advise about what type of round works best with the mannlicher pro hunter .308. Preferably a 150 grain.

cheers, Dan.

tried a few m8 didnt like winchester,. shot feds gr8 but didnt like ejection tried norma 150 and it loves em thats in 308 similar problems with my 243 also which is also a pro hunter tried hornady seems to like them .shot muntys roe fallow and red with the 150,s as long as bullet placement was good minimal carcase damage good hunting !

Dan

I shot a friend's .308 Pro-Hunter MKII with some Federal Power-Shok that I brought along. I put 3 shots in a half inch group at 100yds on a dull drizzly morning. I hadn't shot the rifle before.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 02-03-2011 at 20:46. Reason: Hi deleted Power added

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Dan

I shot a friend's .308 Pro-Hunter MKII with some Federal Hi-Shok that I brought along. I put 3 shots in a half inch group at 100yds on a dull drizzly morning. I hadn't shot the rifle before.

Regards JCS
    cheers guys,

i will let you know how i get on! jcampbellsmith did i see somewhere that you load your own?

many thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan85 View Post
    .... jcampbellsmith did i see somewhere that you load your own?....
    I do reload 260 Rem and 243 Win, but I haven't yet reloaded for the .308 I jointly hold with my father. He certainly is a long standing fan of the 150 gr Federal Power-Shok. I think in over 20 years, Federal 150gr is all he has used.

Rgds JCS

Dan

I have the same rifle, bought some sako 150gr soft points, but wont be shooting it till next week. I will keep you posted if you want and you could let me know if you discover the magic round??

andibrains, will let you know how i get on. will try all the suggestions and see what happens!
    all the best, Dan

I have been shooting 150gr Sako. My Pro Hunter groups around 1" with them. Meat damage can be quite excessive on roe, but then no runners.. Previous owner used 150gr Sako and I bought the rifle with some ammo from him, as it groups well I never bothered to test any other make.

Greg

I tried loads of diferent rounds in mine..

in the end i went for Sako 123g soft points...

My Pro hunter seems to prefer them over the 150g..

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Hi Dan.

Not sure this will help, but I reload for a Steyr PHM in .30-06. I use the Hornady 150gr Interbond tip over 50gr of IMR - 4895. The barrel is 20", but over the chrono I get 2847fps, with .75" groups on paper. Recoil is moderate, but the terminal performance on deer is excellent. Nice tidy exit wounds, and minor carcase damage. Have shot roe / fallow does recently with good results, although I have had a couple of `runners` when shot through the lungs and just missing the heart. Hope this helps. All the best.