Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooty Residue on spent cartridges

Sooty Residue on spent cartridges

Hi Guys,
    Advice please I'm currently loading .243 55g sierra blitzkings in both Norma and RWS brass with 43 gns of Accurate 2520, using CCI primers with a COL of 2,605.
    I'm getting a sooty deposit on the outside of the spent cartridge .? the thing is, these loads are producing no signs of over pressure and are consistantly grouping 1/4 inch at 100yds
    Anything to worry about do you think?

Tikkat3

Soot down the outside of the case can be indicative of low pressure (case isn't swelling to seal in the chamber).

More info here: sooty brass

Alex
    Last edited by csl; 02-03-2011 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Advice please I'm currently loading .243 55g sierra blitzkings in both Norma and RWS brass with 43 gns of Accurate 2520, using CCI primers with a COL of 2,605.
    I'm getting a sooty deposit on the outside of the spent cartridge .? the thing is, these loads are producing no signs of over pressure and are consistantly grouping 1/4 inch at 100yds

Tikkat3
    Your problem is in that dangerous quarter minute rifle! For your own safety I insist you box it up and send it to me. It's your only hope...

What Alex said.~Muir

Hi Guys,

Tikkat3
    please use eye protection!!! when the case can not seal the chamber gas can find it's way backward and hit your face.
    it is not uncommon and occures a lot of times even with factory loaded ammo especially in ex-military rounds when they are loaded att very low pressure.
    cheers
    daniel

Firstly are the black sooty marks above or below the shoulder?If above this is quite normal and nothing to worry about however if below then it is a sign of poor obturation.

Well Muir, this is what happens when you buy a T3 off the shelf, i nearly took it back cos it dont shoot straight! I'm thinking it's the worst 600 i've spent on a new gun
    All joking aside, thanks for the advice chaps, the soot does go all the ways down, so, bearing in mind that i an within 1/2 gn of the max safe load of 2520 according to manufacturers loading data, what next? increase the powdwer load or as sonebody has advised, alter the COL?

PS
    Muir, it shoots 1/2 inch groups with factory ammo (though not always when i'm holding it!)

Cheers

Tikkat3

Perhaps this is just typical of Accurate 2520 ? I reload .308 using this powder and find that there is some slight sooting of case necks but not excessive.

Well Muir, this is what happens when you buy a T3 off the shelf, i nearly took it back cos it dont shoot straight! I'm thinking it's the worst 600 i've spent on a new gun
    All joking aside, thanks for the advice chaps, the soot does go all the ways down, so, bearing in mind that i an within 1/2 gn of the max safe load of 2520 according to manufacturers loading data, what next? increase the powdwer load or as sonebody has advised, alter the COL?

PS
    Muir, it shoots 1/2 inch groups with factory ammo (though not always when i'm holding it!)

Cheers

Tikkat3
    I had the same problem with my 6.5x55 when developing some loads and it was down to low pressure, as your close to the max load I would suggest reducing the OAL, setting the bullets deeper into the case.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Had the same problem with my 30.06 with h4895 and it wasn't till i got up to max load that it improved to any extent but i wasn't happy with it,use only h4350 now as its slower burning and not had any signs of sooting other than a bit around the neck.
    Neil.

Cheers lads, i'll try altering the OAL and see what happens, i'll keep you posted,