Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have i pooped my rifle

have i pooped my rifle

hi this is my first post on this forum so pleas forgive any no no i may comit i recently baught a howa 1500 .223 with laminated thumbhole stock, mod and scope any since this was my own first center fire (4 years with armed servises) i instly had to try it out i used norma 50gr and was getting 1/2" a few days later i baught some barnaul 55gr fmj (there very cheap just wanted for target practis but found i was getting 1/4" the problem occured when i got a casing jamed in the breech after i removed the case via cleaning rod and sum very gental tapping i have only bin able to achive two or three 1/4" groups befor it goes to pot is this just the barrel over heating or could somthing else be amis

im also having problems with comb hight the scope is mounted high i only assume becaus of the modirator does any one have any exsperience with a low mounted scope and over the barrel modirators, thanks -mac

edit: i should add i was using bipod and bag rest shot from a concreed baise i couldnt do this in the field i go to pot
    Last edited by macdojge01; 02-03-2011 at 22:51.

Different ammo will or can perform differently through rifles, and changing ammo half way through sighting in is not recommended, you have gone from 50g to 55g so they will perform differently.

If the scope is to high then put lower mounts to bring the eye line down. Make sure the Mod is tight on the end and not loose. But most of all stick to one bullet weight and make.

Try giving the barrel a good clean first , and a slower course of fire and your groups should return ,

sorry i dont think ive written that right the 55g round im using atm i am zeroed for i have achived 1/4" groups constly with it untill the jamed caseing now i only get a cuple of good groups befor it goes to pot its propbly the barrel heating up the last time i used it it was a cold day. the problem with the modirator/scope is i think the mod will be in the way of the scope picture a little bit will this effect the scope picture much

I have my scope very low, but unless the scope is set on very low mag like 2.5 or 3x the mod is not a problem.
    Even when you can see it, it won't affect accuracy, just cause the bottom of the sight picture to blur slightly.

Neil.

ah thanks for that neil much aprisiated i shal go ge some low scope rings the first chance i get i just didnt want to waist my mony to be honest lol

I think your rifle will be just fine, it'd be very difficult to damage anything on the rifle with a case, after all the case is relatively soft brass compared to the relative hardness of the steel. As someone else stated the sight picture shouldn't be an issue unless the scope is on low mag, so get it lower and you'll probably find your head position to be more comfortable. Perhaps the jam and removing the case has knocked your confidence in the rifle slightly and in turn affected your shooting sub-consiously, sounds daft but a little niggling doubt in the back of your mind could affect your shooting? Apart from that it could just be that your rifle is heating up, best thing to do is fire a 3 shot group, wait 20 mins, and do another 3 shot group, if its as good 20 mins later as the first group then its just barrel heating up.

Tom

it will be the ammo mate. factory ammo is like that. Ive had good groups with the privi ammo in 222 and 22/250. then the next lot i used was rubbish. to get nice consistent groups reloading is the best way. it helps cut down on inconsistent groups that factory ammo can give sometimes.

mind anything 1/2 or under is a bonus with factory ammo. i wouldn't be to worried about that if your getting those groups. you could get the next size down on your scope mounts.
    or just add a cheek pad to your rifle stock.

Give the barrel and chamber a good clean - why was a case stuck - suggest quite dirty ammo.

Put a comb raiser on the cheek piece - you need to have a good firm cheek weld so that you get a high level of consistency - difficult to shoot well if your head is wobbling around. Some pipe lagging and duck tape will do the job, or get a strap on cheek piece. If possible get the scope mounted lower, but may not be possible or economically possible.

And don't set too high expectations - it is not a bench rest rifle shooting handloaded ammo. You are using cheap ammo - to really judge how ammo shoots you need five or even ten round groups - you will always get the odd good three round group just through law of averages.

Rather than trying to shoot lots of groups practice field positions - if you can consistently hit a coke can at the ranges you want to shoot at then thats a dead fox or deer.

Quote Originally Posted by macdojge01 View Post
    sorry i dont think ive written that right the 55g round im using atm i am zeroed for i have achived 1/4" groups constly with it untill the jamed caseing now i only get a cuple of good groups befor it goes to pot its propbly the barrel heating up the last time i used it it was a cold day. the problem with the modirator/scope is i think the mod will be in the way of the scope picture a little bit will this effect the scope picture much
    "the last time i used it it was a cold day" The answer to your problems may lie in this part of your post, it depends how cold of course, but cold weather can effect ignition and cause variation and general reduction in velocity. Give the gun a good clean and then try it again on a better day.