Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Obituary

Amazing Obituary

It must be a feature of age, but I have come to find reading obituaries very interesting. Clicked on this one this morning while reading another. This is just amazing, this Kiwi had a VC and Bar.

Just makes you realise how pathetic large parts of the male population have become.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...C-and-Bar.html
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 03-03-2011 at 12:04.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quite amazing! And a gentleman with good deal of knowledge and foresight....

Bloody hell Brian, he was some man, he seems to have led a full life. The world owes him and others like him a huge debt of gratitude, the wingeing buggers who decry just about everything that he did, only have the freedom to moan because of him and his contemporaries.

We could do with a few more like him in positions of power nowadays. Someone to tell it like it is and do the right thing without worrying if it is PC or not, too much bloody kowtowing to the noisy minorities who demand their perceived rights to the detriment of the Country as a whole. They should be told to shut their mouths and get in line, they will be dealt with at the appropriate time. We need a man like him and a bag of his grenades, metaphorically speaking of course.

John

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

He didn't much like Germans did he?

Killed 22 out of 50 with a Bren gun at 500m, and that was just one encounter.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I was also told, and I've no idea if it was true, that when he was released from Colditz at the end of the war he acquired some guns and started shooting Germans again. Clearly he disliked the Germans!

I'm with you Brian in reading the obits, especially the military ones, in the Tele as they do make great reading and it is nothing short of amazing what some of these people got up to. I had sort of formed the opinion that most of the great stories had already been told in view of the age of these people and the fact that most of them have already died but almost every day brings some new and amazing tale. One of my favourite lines from some years back was a naval man who had been sunk so many times that they starting writing "dissembarked at sea" on his records to save embarrasment :-)

....just read that article. Makes you feel quite small doesn't it?

What an amazing bloke.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Bloody hell Brian, he was some man, he seems to have led a full life. The world owes him and others like him a huge debt of gratitude, the wingeing buggers who decry just about everything that he did, only have the freedom to moan because of him and his contemporaries.

We could do with a few more like him in positions of power nowadays. Someone to tell it like it is and do the right thing without worrying if it is PC or not, too much bloody kowtowing to the noisy minorities who demand their perceived rights to the detriment of the Country as a whole. They should be told to shut their mouths and get in line, they will be dealt with at the appropriate time. We need a man like him and a bag of his grenades, metaphorically speaking of course.

John

John
    Nail, head, hit!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Very humbling
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

+1 to Merlin and Stringer. They don't seem to breed them like that any more, unfortunately...

Andrew

Makes you think, how some of the younger generation could treat thier elders with such Ignorant Disrespect !!

Bloody Rediculous, A real Gentleman.

Could think of a good few wrong-uns that should be suck at the front line.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"