Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resizing brass with new primer in place ???

Question Resizing brass with new primer in place ???

Folks,

I have been given some cleaned and trimmed cases with new primers in place !

Is it possible to resize them without pushing the new primers out ???

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

You can remove the primer pin from your resizing die but from what I've heard it's not really to be recommended. The air pressure build up might force the primer out (less of an issue if only neck sizing?). Plus there is the chance of resizing lubricant contaminating the primer.

Also, if you do do it (as you should with all reloading stages where 'live' components are concerned) wear safety glasses!

Alex
    Last edited by csl; 04-03-2011 at 15:36.

OK - thanks for that.

I might try one carefully and see what happens......As you say.....Safety glasses firmly in place !!

If it does not work would de-priming on the press be best or shooting off through the rifle ??

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

As per CSL's comment. Physically possible but for the price of a primer why risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    If it does not work would de-priming on the press be best or shooting off through the rifle ??
    Thinking about it it's probably more likely to go off whilst depriming than if you resized without depriming!

It's risk of contamination vs risk of bang!

I've never had one go off depriming live ones (but then I have probably only done it a dozen times!). If you do, go carefully and with goggles!

It depends on what dies you have and whether or not you mind modifying them.

For example if you have a Lee collet neck sizing die you can grind the decapping ping off the end of the central mandrel. I'm sure other brands of neck sizer would allow you to do the same but Lee dies have the advantage of being cheap.

This only applies to neck sizing though, the lube needed for full-length resizing would probably kill the primer or do strange and bad things to the powder charge.

On the other hand if you just go nice and slow and smooth you can gently push the primer out and re-seat it again afterwards. Be careful and go slow but a few of us have found this to be the best way overall, especially if you need to FL size.

Regards,

A

For a new reloader, I would advise just shoot them off in your rifle, & then thoroughly clean your barrel.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

How did the brass come to be primed without being neck sized in the first place?

I am assuming it was not checked/sized, and it was hand primed off the press. Which is not really good practice. Of course, if this was the case, you obviously had no control over that as you were given the brass by another party.

A bit of a bummer of a situation really, which will lead to a lot of extra time consuming work. The points mentioned above by various users are pretty much how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    ...Is it possible to resize them without pushing the new primers out ???....
    Philip. Yes, if you have a die that allows the expander ball and spindle to be removed. I have full length resized primed brass when I made the transition from one 260 to another with a slightly shorter chamber (~4 thou). In both my Redding and Hornady dies the central spindle can be removed completely. To be honest, it did take Muir to prompt me that this was possible.

I have since done it again when I found some necks with insufficient tension while loading. I took the batch to bits, recovered the powder and ran them through the full length bushing die with the next bushing down.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 04-03-2011 at 20:38. Reason: Changed Forster to Redding

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Philip. Yes, if you have a die that allows the expander ball and spindle to be removed. I have full length resized primed brass when I made the transition from one 260 to another with a slightly shorter chamber (~4 thou). In both my Forster and Hornady dies the central spindle can be removed completely. To be honest, it did take Muir to prompt me that this was possible.

I have since done it again when I found some necks with insufficient tension while loading. I took the batch to bits, recovered the powder and ran them through the full length bushing die with the next bushing down.

Regards JCS
    This is interesting JC, in my Lee FL die the neck is sized down to less than .308 ID and the expander ball sizes it up on the up stroke.

Does this mean that in the forster and Hornady design the expander ball only is really used when necking up cases from a smaller calibre?

Regards,

Amir