Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 hours, 300 miles, 2 deer and a school bus!

10 hours, 300 miles, 2 deer and a school bus!

Well, im sitting here, writing up my stalking trip and struggling to stay awake..

After work yesterday, i decided to drive up to my patch in order to stalk Friday AM and possibly PM if things didnt go as planned..

I finished work at around 2200 and after a brief visit to Mr McDonalds, was well on my way to Dumfries and Galloway. Due to my late arrival, i thought it was pointless to book into my normal accomodation for less than 6 hours in it! I arrive at my patch at 0100 and after unravelling my sleeping bag, made best of sports seats in my car. I cant say it was a great nights sleep but after 5 hours of trying to get comfortable, it was time to get up.. Sunrise was at 0705 and i got up at 0600, i got changed and sorted my gear out, had time for a quick cup of coffee out of a lukewarm flask and it was getting light enough to stalk (probably about 0640).

I had taken the 7mm08, my current go-for rifle.. its all i seem to use at the moment! After about 5 minutes of walking, i spied a deer in a block of woodland grazing. I cant say it was difficult ,but i got from about 150yds to 80yds with ease due to the lay of the land. After getting set up, i sat and watched, it was obvious that it was a youngster, but with no real knobbles, i had to wait for it to turn to ensure it was a doe. It did and it was, it then turned side on and i opted for a chest shot, of which it dropped on the spot.

Upon inspection of the shot, it was obvious that the 139gn SST had done a lot of damage, the entry had clipped a rib and created a 4'' entry and exit hole. No wonder it dropped to the spot!

Anyhoo, i stalked on and down the lane towards the end of my beat, where i saw another deer, i again couldnt identify immediately what sex it was so got sat down on the track verge to observe. After a few minutes, i could see it was a doe and at about 130yds, but with no way of getting closer without detection. I set up the rifle and in doing so, could hear a vehicle coming down the track. I hoped that it would drive straight past and probably not disturb the deer, however it didnt! It was the local school bus driven by a guy off the estate who pulled over and when i ignored him (hoping he would drive on so i could shoot my deer) opened the window and shouted at me 'good morning'.. I gave a pleasant reply, not quite the same as what i was thinking as the doe bounced off into the distance!

After this and reaching the end of my patch i thought i would beat feet to the car, being down wind and going over the same ground thought i wouldnt see anything.

How wrong i was!

About 500yds before reaching the car, i spotted a doe in one of the glades, feeding away quite happily.. She was about 300yds away and a large grass field stood between me and her, the wind was light but she was downwind. I decided i had nothing to lose and managed to scale the fence, catching my crotch on it making that awful twang. Does head rose and looked, i froze for an age (probably a minute) before she carried on feeding. I dumped the sticks and my bum bag and using a slight rise on the grass field, got to within 120yds on my hands and knees initially and then on my belly (only slightly lower than hands and knees! haha..) She reacted to the shot and went about 15yds before falling over. Again, upon inspection, the round had completely disintegrated the heart and caused a fair bit of damage to the carcass.

After sorting the deer out and loading up the car, i got to see the bus driver again for a proper chat.. I also stopped for a top breakfast on the way home and was on my way only 10 hours after arriving..

Im pooped now sat here but wouldnt change a thing!

Thoughts for the day were

1) How much quieter Scotland is compared to similar places in North Yorkshire
    2) Audis are meant to be driven, not slept in!
    3) Must learn not to expect sympathy about long days when ive been stalking!
    4) SSTs are like hand grenades, think im going to go back to interbonds...

Good night all!
    Last edited by flyingfisherman; 04-03-2011 at 22:02.

Well done on a successful outing but you sound like you are disappointed with the amount of damage the bullet has caused???
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

flyfisherman great write up and pics shame about the damage better to be hung
    up than be chasing them round in the audi though

you say about going back to interbonds had you tried them in this calibre
    if so what made you go on to sst .
    just curious because im about to load some interbonds in 7mm 08
    and wondered what to expect .
    regards pete .

Well done flyingfisherman. A great trip eh?! The new rifle looks good - definatley worth the wait and the 300 mile outing for the does.

DC

Makes me glad my shooting grounds are all within 13 miles of here, all 8 of them!!

hi ff well done a good days work 2 does in the bag
    atb tom

Superb comittment to your sport!

Same here makes me glad all my ground is within spitting distance from where i stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    flyfisherman great write up and pics shame about the damage better to be hung
    up than be chasing them round in the audi though

you say about going back to interbonds had you tried them in this calibre
    if so what made you go on to sst .
    just curious because im about to load some interbonds in 7mm 08
    and wondered what to expect .
    regards pete .
    Ive got a few boxes of interbonds, i got these initially for the 7-08. Of the few deer i shot, they held together well, even on hitting ribs on way in and way out, i only had a 1'' entry and exit hole. Thus not expanding much. They kill ok, i think you just have to accept that they may run a little. I shall take some pics tomorrow once i skin out the two deer from yesterday and put them up here.

Thanks for the replies guys, shot damage is a bit of a bitter sweet thing, i like them dropping on the spot or not going far but i dont like the damage caused. Once i have used up the rest of the SSTs, i think i shall not persevere. I shall try and shoot a few more deer with interbonds to see how they work out.

I can accept losing a shoulder and a bit of stewing meat, but to lose basically the whole front end, its not the best! Im not blaming the calibre, just think other bullets may do a better job..

ff many thanks for the feedback regards pete .