Ruger M77 Mark 1

Sam

My dad has a .308 on his ticket, and was recently offerd a ruger M77 mark1 with a walnut stock and a S+B on top. He wants around 400 quid for it, its ageing but in good nick. what are your thoughts? or if you know anything about the mark 1 please tell

thanks
Sam

ruger

they are pretty popular in america more popular than the mk2

i have a mk2 and it is a great rifle

Ditto to the above - the Mk1 does have a very well sited tang safety catch (like a side by side shotgun), which was dropped from the Mk11 for reasn of cost.

Most of the value is probably in the S&B scope - if it is a good scope would think he has a very good deal.

Even if the barrel was shot out for £400 he could have it rebarreled with an Archer Barrel from Border Barrels - www.border-barrels.com.

Sam said:
My dad has a .308 on his ticket, and was recently offerd a ruger M77 mark1 with a walnut stock and a S+B on top. He wants around 400 quid for it, its ageing but in good nick. what are your thoughts? or if you know anything about the mark 1 please tell

thanks
Sam
personaly sam
i would whip it over to mike dicks and let him hav a look
but failing that that try it at the range and see how it groups with any fodder the seller has and also take some factory of mixed weights with you to try to see how that groups , then i would test the scope , by firing a shot then move it up 15 clicks, fire another shot move it right 15 clicks fire again , 15 clicks down fire again and 15 clicks left ,fire again, using the same point of aim you should get something that resembles a 3 inch square approx
but like others hav said the scope is probaly the item worth most in the deal ,
pays your money and takes your chance
good luck

Funnily enough Stone mike was talking about you on the last range day, anywho thanks for all the comments, if we cant find a better deal at the Game-Fair we could well get it

all bad i hope :evil:
i take it you were on the young shots day, how did you get on?
this is something i would like to encourage on this site
any thoughts and ideas on this, young man ?

I agree with some of the other posters here, £400 for the S&B could be worth it alone, particularly if it is a variable mag, German Model (as opposed to a Hungarian, nothing wrong with them at all but £400 is closer to their new price).
£400 for rifle and scope is a good deal, a similar package new could set you back £2500 depending on model of rifle and glass, so even one that needs a bit of restoration as opposed to major overhaul should be ok.

Good luck
Geoshot

haha, stone i was on the very very first 1 a couple of years ago and am noww a member i was "supervising"
thoose days are ace all people that shoot should send their kids there they all eenjoyed it and theres three of them wanting to join the club now, a grand result

Back