Thread: camo

camo

which is the best camo to use when stalking across moors?

Many years of practical application gives us to suspect that tweed, as worn by generations of Scottish stalkers, works well on the moor.

If you are looking to buy something and will be stalking alone, i.e. not in a formal setting, then a lot of the military surplus stuff can't be beaten on price and utility. I've been trying it recently and buying off ebay for not a lot of cash.

In the end suitability for the work in terms of comfort, pockets, ventilation, waterproofness and so on is probably more important than the camo pattern as if you are doing hill stalking right the deer don't see you until they are lying on their backs dead.

All my mil surplus stuff is very crackly and loud when moving, although I know some people don't think this is a problem. I would second the tweed recommendation, as caorach says it has evolved from generations of stalking practice. Only issue may be budget- cheap tweed is hot, heavy and not breathable (I know, I wear it often!), whereas some of the cheaper stalking-specific clothing is actually quite good- I do all my stalking in a Ridgeline stalking suit when its warm and a Deerhunter Pascha suit when its cold. Neither has let me down, both very affordable.

My first few were however shot wearing no camo at all (I was wearing other, non-camo clothes). I think this bit of advice of advice is spot on-
    In the end suitability for the work in terms of comfort, pockets, ventilation, waterproofness and so on is probably more important than the camo pattern as if you are doing hill stalking right the deer don't see you until they are lying on their backs dead.