Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearms Cert question,Can I go out shooting without my certificate ????

Firearms Cert question,Can I go out shooting without my certificate ????

I have sent my F/A Cert back for a variation to be placed on it,
    My Question is :
    1.Although I dont have it in my hand can I still go out shooting without it??
    2.what happens if I am asked for it ,if I do go out shooting ???

thanks

Jonevo

I do, but I always take a photocopy before handing it in.

Neil.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I only take a photocopy with me when shooting anyway, although not been stopped by the police, I would think that they would be happy with a photocopy, and not take posession of my rifles/shotgun at the time. They might ask me to produce the original within a set time though, which would not bother me.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

The simple answer is Yes you can still go shooting as you do not need to carry your Fac with you at all when out shooting. If you are stoped by the Police they can ask for your details over the radio.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

If you copy it there is a copyright issue.

I asked the same question year's ago?
    And was informed we have Radio's to contact our head office and it will be on our record's

I remember when i use to carry it around because the Police where i shot went around on bicycles

No Radio's in those day's and very little crime

The only thing you will not get any ammo without it, so make sure you have stocked up.

ATB
    Wullie.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    The photo copying of any government documents are illegal.
    I think you'll find that this is not strictly true.

For example, your passport:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...h-passport.pdf

So you can take a black and white photocopy of the information page for your own records and use. You will see that anyone else who wishes to photocopy the information page is advised that they should get the passport holder's permission.

Regarding the FAC, my local police force (Thames Valley) sent me written instructions advising me to send them photocopies of my old FAC/SGC, rather than the originals, when they were due for renewal.

This also from BASC's website:

If your Firearms Licensing Department ask for your certificate, photocopy the whole certificate and enclose the copy with your application. We advise that you always keep copies for your own records in case any administrative queries arise in the future.

http://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm/...4B187BAD081659

So unless we are saying that both my local police force and BASC are inciting me to commit an illegal act I think you'll find it's fine to take a photocopy of your FAC for your own personal records. It would, of course, be illegal to attempt to pass a copy off as the original, or to allow someone else to do so.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by macberran View Post
    If you copy it there is a copyright issue.

Quote Originally Posted by
    [SIZE=2
    The photo copying of any government documents are illegal.[/SIZE]
    Neither of these statements are true.

The BASC advice to send in a photocopy to Firearms Licensing during Renewal or Variation is unhelpful and misleading.

You have to return the original as only one document can be in circulation at a time. A facsimile will not do as the genuine FAC is the only legal document. This is retained by Firearms Licensing, and a replacement issued which isn't strictly valid until you receive it and sign it. The FAC is printed on registered computer generated continuous stationery sourced from the Home Office.

A photocopy is useful but proves absolutely nothing. I never carry my FAC or a photocopy of it as any police patrol car has access to the the PNCR record we all now have. Their job is to check that I am a valid FAC Holder which they'll do whether you have documents or not. Few of them know whether your documents are valid or not as they've probably never seen an original. It's more risky to carry it around than not I feel.

Echo what others have said its ok as they will radio in and check,that's what my FLO told me anyway.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    You have to return the original as only one document can be in circulation at a time.
    I think not - only one document will be valid at any one time, which is achieved through the Expiry Date on the old FAC and the signature on the new FAC. I still have my old FAC (in fact I think I have my last two or three). I also have my old passports, my old driving licence, etc.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!