Thread: Time, again, and weather?

Smile Time, again, and weather?

As you probably know I'm coming to England to fufill a dream to Stalk. I am not interested in Medal heads, just the experience. I would like to shoot at least one represenitive Roe, but also hunt something else. Someone suggested Muntjac, as they are plentifukl and cheap.I had considered in March or April for both. Some have mentioned September-October, which would allow me to shoot Fallow also. I am open to suggestions? My only hesitancy in going in September-October, is how good will the Roe stalking be at the end of the season? Thoughts? What is the average weather in the middle of April and the first of October in Southern England? Thanks again for your indulgences, capt david

Captdavid You really cant win win all the time here what is a best time for one deer is not for anouther. You will need to make your choice . But if you are not intrested in trophys then why not shoot female roe and try for a trophy Fallow or muntjac the best time then would be winter when just about everything is in season one way ort tuther

we are a maritime nation and our weather reflects this, roughly translated this means that it can rain any time any place from any direction the good news is that the deer are used to it if you put hunting to one side for a moment, for my money late April to May is the best time of year to visit the south of England, with the days drawing out and the countryside in bloom , and a pretty good chance of warm weather, the country can be truly magical. I had an outstanding evenings stalking with KevinF from this site last year after Muntjac, through the most stunning Bluebell woods, I saw quite a few Muntjack (well their backsides mostly) and didn't see one or two that I should have Roe Bucks are in season and Muntjac .

Ken
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

or come over in august for the roe rut, thats quite a fun fortnight if you go somewhere to squeak up a few bucks? Just a thought- but of course that means all the larger deer are out of season, muntjac could be on the menu though?

Quote Originally Posted by devonoak View Post
    or come over in august for the roe rut, thats quite a fun fortnight if you go somewhere to squeak up a few bucks? Just a thought- but of course that means all the larger deer are out of season, muntjac could be on the menu though?
    Devonoak, I assume you are talking about the larger "female" deer being out of season in August and not the stags? As far as I am aware (correct me if I am wrong) but stags are in season as of 1st August in England and Wales - possibly not the best time to try for them but still in season nonetheless? Agree that the roe rut would be an excellent time to try, very exciting stalking.
    Timney