Thread: Blood

Blood

Anyone know how long it takes for blood to coagulate in sealed containers? can you add salt to slow this process?
    I have access to some 125ml sealed sample pots that are perfect for storing it in but dont want it to coagulate before i get it home.

Ezzy

Quote Originally Posted by ezzy6.5 View Post
    Anyone know how long it takes for blood to coagulate in sealed containers? can you add salt to slow this process?
    I have access to some 125ml sealed sample pots that are perfect for storing it in but dont want it to coagulate before i get it home.

Ezzy
    It starts coagulating almost immediately. Don't worry push it through a fine sieve to remove the fibrin and it will be fine.

As stated it will start to clot as soon as the animal is dead, stirring with a stick in a dish will remove the clots, a few lumps won't bother the dog

As said before, just push it though a sieve, Dont tell the mrs!! i never add salt as a trainer in belgium told me, deer blood has no salt in it!!!! some of the coagulated blood is good to use on trails for the dog to sign to you.

I have never added salt, just scooped blood, clots all into a container. At home I mix the lot with 50% water and use a cheap hand blender to mix. Just ensure that the blade of the hand blender is on the bottom of the jug or whatever you are using to mix it in. Getting yourself and the room splattered in blood may not make you favourite person of the month.

Get some EDTA (Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) from a local lab supplies company and dissolve some in water (warm it up to dissolve easier) then add some to your blood sample. EDTA strongly binds to calcium ions and effectively stops coagulation of blood.
    You could use citrate (in almost any of its salts) but it is concentration sensitive and needs experience to get the correct concentration.
    If there's a demand for this I could make some solution.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

If you push it through a fine sieve you don't need to add anything.

I find if I scoop out just the coagulated blood and put that in a seperate container , add a little water and just whisk it or seive it it becomes very usable and stays that way even after several defrosts

all the other un-coagulated blood is just put into containers with a little water to thin it down a little never coagulates at all
    best thing to do is not to bleed the deer untill u have extracted all the blood you can from the chest cavity
    it will hav no ill effects on the carcass either , as you are bleeding it internally instead of externally
    and a rag or paper towels to wipe the excess blood away does the trick and the leaves the inside as clean anyway
    don't fill your containers to full as the blood will expand a little when you freeze it