Thread: Disposing of unwanted shotguns

Disposing of unwanted shotguns

I recently inherited 3 shotguns, 2 of which are knackered and not worth salvaging. How do I dispose of these shotguns ? Hand into police/RFD ?

Did that with my old air rifle. Police happy to oblige. Phone your FLO and ask him to uplift, jim

Give them to your local RFD he can sort for you and it might curry a little favour for the future if he breaks for spares or can make some use of them.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I recently inherited 3 shotguns, 2 of which are knackered and not worth salvaging. How do I dispose of these shotguns ? Hand into police/RFD ?
    Strangely, I had a discussion with my local Firearms Manager on this very subject last Friday.
    You have two options
    1/ Take to the Police Station and surrender it - take your licence and get a receipt.
    2/ Give it to your local RFD to do the job - he might charge you - I would.
    Hope this helps.

Give them to me!

It depends on you view....RFD may charge, I dont know.....BUT I am told if you take it to the police...as I did once they add it to the 'look what nasty guns we have removed from the streets list'....yes I agree with taking guns off low life scum, but handing in a gun shouldnt go on that list....thats if they do , but the guy who told me tends to check his facts.
    Also if when you take it....I took mine chopped into 8 pieces, you may get a numpty on the desk refusing to take it incase its loaded and asking for a response car to check it.....durrrrrrrr....the guy came back glum faced , I reckon he requseted that and got told he was an idiot.

when my father's neighbour died his wife gave him her late husbands guns to deal with.
    In amongst them was a battered and corroded Holland and Holland 28 bore than had been hastily repaired when the stock broke, the barrels and action were so worn you could see daylight through them and the rust was everywhere.
    He rather innocently took it to an RFD who said he would "dispose" of it!! He is probably disposing of it as we speak!! soon to be on some auctioneers list!