Thread: 1st real fire forming loads for the .280AI

1st real fire forming loads for the .280AI

Well finally got around to making up some fire forming loads for the .280AI and thinking about Muirs advice so decided to follow it and seat the bullet out to actually touch the rifling. 20 rounds were prepared using a charge of 55.0 Grains of H4381 and CCI 250 primers. The initial test firing was done once again at 60m and bearing in mind that the stock is not properly bedded as yet the grouping was surprisingly good in fact perfectly good enough for stalking use.

I suppose I should now finish the bedding of this stock at least until I can afford to get the new one.

Oh yes for this little test a vintage Weaver K4W scope was used. For those not familar with these old scopes it's 4x magnification with an objective of about 38mm and a wide view occular.

Sound's good Brit keep us up to date .

Snag

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Well finally got around to making up some fire forming loads for the .280AI and thinking about Muirs advice so decided to follow it and seat the bullet out to actually touch the rifling. 20 rounds were prepared using a charge of 55.0 Grains of H4381 and CCI 250 primers. The initial test firing was done once again at 60m and bearing in mind that the stock is not properly bedded as yet the grouping was surprisingly good in fact perfectly good enough for stalking use.

I suppose I should now finish the bedding of this stock at least until I can afford to get the new one.

Oh yes for this little test a vintage Weaver K4W scope was used. For those not familar with these old scopes it's 4x magnification with an objective of about 38mm and a wide view occular.
    Did you get the oft predicted & dreaded pressure excursions seating the bullet into the rifling?? I'm guessing not. In fact, I'm certain your cartridges were formed perfectly!~Muir

PS: Nice scope. I have several and use them on big game rifles.

Muir,

No dramas but then I went on the safe side the start load for the .280 Rem/7mm Express is 54.0 grains and I used 55.0 grains in the Improved chamber. The max listed load for the std .280 is listed as 57.0 grains of H4831 so honestly I didn't expect any dramas. Add the fact I didn't shove the bullet hard into the leade but it was being pushed back into the case mouth slightly on chambering add that to the slight crush fit of the case the case and neck should all be in alignment.

The Weaver I brought from a scope collector a few weeks ago and it cost me approx $90 including postage and it has it's original tight fitting bikini covers. I also have a K3W that i brought new from a shop that was changing hands, the old owner was retiring due to poor health so that one too has it's bikini covers.

The load produced a Six shot group of 1.3". It showed vertical stringing but that's not surprising seeing as how the inletting is only just enough to allow the action to sit in the stock. No bedding has been attempted and the action inletting still needs tweeking as it's not correct as yet. It should have been done of course but as the barreled action was away for so long other things got in the way. We are now trying to get back on track The rifles bottom metal needs to be stripped of the paint that a previous owner applied and anodised. Looking at the bare polished alloy bottom metal of the Midland I might go that route until we can arrange the anodising.

Sounds like you're on your way to success! The Weavers are selling for $40 to $80 here but every pawn shop has about 10 of them! People seem to want hi magnification variables (3-9X) with duplex X-hairs instead of the low powered scopes with the fine wires.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Sounds like you're on your way to success! The Weavers are selling for $40 to $80 here but every pawn shop has about 10 of them! People seem to want hi magnification variables (3-9X) with duplex X-hairs instead of the low powered scopes with the fine wires.~Muir
    Ahhh Muir the K4W I have has the duplex reticle yes more usable for my stalking methinks