Thread: Roe fertility

Roe fertility

Hi gents. At what age would a roe doe become receptive to a male and be able to reproduce.
    I shot a doe this morning that was in a group of 3, mature doe, mature buck and this one. She was the smallest of the three, and I presumed she was last year's kid, although I concede she may have been born early in the year. When I gralloched her she was carrying one foetus of about 12cm length (nose to back feet when stretched out). So second question is, how far on would the size of the foetus sugest the pregnancy was?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Harry, embryonic diapause in Roe means that they play catch up after Christmas and the embryo will grow rapidly. The rut is July- August so pregnant from them.
    If conditions are good and the young doe reaches a good weight it could conceive in it's first season.

If you still have the head take a gander at her teath that should tell you conclusively if she is from last year or the year before.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    If you still have the head take a gander at her teath that should tell you conclusively if she is from last year or the year before.

Dave
    Forgot to mention that!

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post

Dave
    Head was a bit messy, so I didn't dig around in it.
    Yes, short range, solid rest.
    I was aware of the delayed implantation for roe, but I'm sure I've shot does in the past at this time of year where the foetus was larger and more fully formed. I've also seen roe kids gamboling gaily around in mid April before, but doubt very much that this one would have been "cooked" by then.

Very unlikely to be a last years kid mate as it would have been born in May/Jun and the Rut is in Jul/Aug. I reckon the lower jaw would have shown a 2 crown pre-molar which would make it 1 year and 8 months or older. Probably just a small Doe.
    As stated, Roe use delayed implantation. I think it is most unlikely that a last years kid would come into season an be covered by a buck later the same year. However, I have personally seen this happen with Fallow and know of Sika the same but that could happen at the end of a normal Rut for them as it is later in the year.
    MS
    Edit; posted this a while ago:
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ht=fallow+year
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 06-03-2011 at 22:01.

myself and a few friends was stalking last weekend we shot 9 roe does and followers the older does where carrying twins and the followers where all carrying single, frist time i have come across this to?????????????????

gadget

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this but here goes...

I have heard about the false rut for roe which i thought was around oct/nov time. I realise it is still debated? but some people rekon in some cases it could be younger bucks chasing round some of the better sized/earlier youngsters
    Is it possible if it was a good sized youngster and it was concieved in the later false rut which would be a similar timescale to wot ms has witnessed above for other deer species.

Taxi's waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Very unlikely to be a last years kid mate as it would have been born in May/Jun and the Rut is in Jul/Aug. I reckon the lower jaw would have shown a 2 crown pre-molar which would make it 1 year and 8 months or older. Probably just a small Doe.
    As stated, Roe use delayed implantation. I think it is most unlikely that a last years kid would come into season an be covered by a buck later the same year. However, I have personally seen this happen with Fallow and know of Sika the same but that could happen at the end of a normal Rut for them as it is later in the year.
    MS
    Edit; posted this a while ago:
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ht=fallow+year
    Cheers MS. I only ask because of the kids I've seen running around in April before now, and wondered if it would be feasible for an early born kid to have been fertile enough to catch the back end of the rut, effectively concieving at about 4 or 5 months old.
    You're probably right and she was a follower rather than a kid.
    Another interesting point was that as soon as I touched her my hand started to itch. Someone posted about this before with reference to roe blood, but it's the first time I've ever experienced it.