Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Views on the .270 For Reds

Views on the .270 For Reds

Hi

I've been offered a Sako A111 rifle in .270 calibre. Any thoughts, good or bad. on this calibre for Red Deer? Also, how well does it moderate, there's a lot of powder in that case!

270 is my go to rifle of choice, have a 7 x 57 and a 243, both great for woodland stalking, and taken all 6 species as well. the 270 can be loaded down for woodland stalking but comes into its own for hill stalking, also Sika are very durable and the extra weight of 140 to 150 grainer's help. Taken all plains game up to a Kudo bull down to Warthogs and gazelle with Barnes TTSs with full exit on all except that big Kudo. Considered to be minimal for Boar, but as a home loader I can develop what ever I want within reason up to 160 grain partitions for what I shoot, and find factory rounds readily available, and of course no military caliber issues, your choice in the end, but lots of pro's use them. Expect incoming do i care. deerwarden

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    270 is my go to rifle of choice, have a 7 x 57 and a 243, both great for woodland stalking, and taken all 6 species as well. the 270 can be loaded down for woodland stalking but comes into its own for hill stalking, also Sika are very durable and the extra weight of 140 to 150 grainer's help. Taken all plains game up to a Kudo bull down to Warthogs and gazelle with Barnes TTSs with full exit on all except that big Kudo. Considered to be minimal for Boar, but as a home loader I can develop what ever I want within reason up to 160 grain partitions for what I shoot, and find factory rounds readily available, and of course no military caliber issues, your choice in the end, but lots of pro's use them. Expect incoming do i care. deerwarden
    +1 on the above !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

got a 270 weatherby vanguard moderated with a t8 moderator use norma 110 grain ballistic tip bullets with it .great rifle very accurate and red deer do not like it they just lie down and die. would not part with my 270.also good for roe deer as well not had much meat damage with it either .but it is really up to the individual on calibres, a mate off mine shoots a 308 it is your choice, but to answer your question on red deer excellent calibre to use on them

Perfect calibre for reds, they just die on the spot when hit in the ribs, most stalkers on the hill up here have used this calibre for years. With a moderator on they are a pussy cat to shoot, hell just about everybody that I shoot reds with now has one.

ATB

Tahr

Perfect calibre for red,hits em hard an knocks em down
    6.5x55 is good too though
    Seriously though you won't go wrong with the .270 for red,very good round for big red

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

My sako AV is in .270 win and it's the mutt's nut's up on the hill for red's. I personally think it's one of the best hill cartridges out there short of the bigger magnum's, very flat shooting out to 300 yards and plenty of poke. All the local boy's up this neck of the wood's have one in the cabinet. As for moderating I've got a t8 on the end of mine and it seem's quiet enough.

Snag

Hell of a calibre for reds Heart and lung they look like they have hit a brick wall. I like it very much. Underkeeper reckons he would rather slam his head in a door than pull the trigger on one.

Mark

I think I have one somewhere's in't cabinet!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!