Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is it?

How important is it?

How important is it to keep a note of how many times your brass is reloaded?

If you're full length resizing, trimming to size and cleaning/checking the brass every reload. As long as the brass looks okay and is within spec, does it matter.

I gotta ask as I was always told to keep a note of how many times each brass was reloaded and yesterday I made a bit of a whoopsie and mixed some first and second reloads!

I'm sure there will be a difference of opinion, but am I alright to keep using them?

If it is for shooting deer and you inspect the case after each firing during reloading then I dont see an issue.

Dave

Got to agree most times problems can be seen and neck weekness will be aparent when you seat a bullet (no resistance)

It's just nice to know. I put a paper sticker on the top of my Case Guard box and make a mark for each time I load it.~Muir

Mixign up 1st and 2nd reloaded cases is not to going to cause the sky to fall .

If your worried that you might find case thinning at the web get a paper clip and straiten it out then make a small hook on one end that will go through the case mouth easily the use the hook to feel for any ring near the web inside the case. If you can feel this then it's time to retire the case.

I must admit I an bad at getting brass mixed up a lot of the time comes from having too many I suppose.

That's all good to hear. I don't feel so bad now, I can happily reload away!!!

You need to get BOTHERED,when your missus shoots off all, or nearly all of your neck sized foxing rounds in her Remmy, while your doing butts duty!.................... GOOD JOB I HAVE A STASH!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post

If your worried that you might find case thinning at the web get a paper clip and straiten it out then make a small hook on one end that will go through the case mouth easily the use the hook to feel for any ring near the web inside the case. If you can feel this then it's time to retire the case.
    Normally this fault shows itself by a bright exterior ring around the case at the web area. It is called incipient head separation, any such cases are dangerous and should be discarded.
    This is a head-space problem which can be caused by setting the case shoulder too far back whilst re-sizing.

HWH.

Anneal and reload if your necks get loose ! you will see when the necks are starting to fail.

ScottC
    You dont mention what caliber you are reloading ?
    All you mention really is not required every time you reload , Load and use all your rounds , then check overall length and reload again ,
    This is when you trim the overall length to size ,
    When your trimming the cases and it cut like cheese rind then anneal the cases,
    You will see a pattern as your cases age and find the bolt tighten as you eject the fired case , this is the time when the different processes take place ,
    I think also you can work harden the case by doing to much to soon .
    I have seen cases (308) that have had 13 reloadings as an idea of what is possible with carefull maintenance ,
    Keep a note of the number reloadings , powder weight ,bullet type and weight etc
    Consistancy is key to manage your cases .

ATB