Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slugs made simple.....

Slugs made simple.....

Well I got my variation for slugs and .375 expanding on ticket this morning. This afternoon I made myself some slugs and loaded them. Now, I could buy them but I like casting and lee slugs are bloody good. This is how it goes...

So I've already done my casting or I suppose you could get slugs for loading if you don't want to make your own. The next thing is to prepare your cases. So with a clear case sporting load I just trim away the inner crimp but leave the turn over plus a bit extra. It's quick and easy with practice and keep the poured out shot for melting down later.

Now you just pop a slug into the plaswad cup which needs a pit of pressure to pass the turnover but that makes it a secure fit. Once it's in it's not going to fall out because the remainder of the crimp and turnover holds it it.

Then do some more. I've zeroed in my red dot sight and had a good practice. I haven't had any sort of jam or failure to eject and although my grouping is only about 4 inch at 20 yards that's with a 1x red dot and i'm very happy with that!

Lookiing good paul....

old lead wheel weights make good scrap lead, it has antimony in.

Lee recommend pure lead only for slug casting bobt. In any case modern wheel weights aren't made of lead so aren't any good for casting.

yeh, pure lead is very soft like roofing grade lead which dulls quick but if you include a little harder grade lead like old style wheel weights or the shot from the donor shells it make a harder stay shiny slug, no more than a 1/3 harder grade though cause it doesn't pour well into the mould.

pure lead melts lower and releases from the mould better though.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    yeh, pure lead is very soft like roofing grade lead which dulls quick but if you include a little harder grade lead like old style wheel weights or the shot from the donor shells it make a harder stay shiny slug, no more than a 1/3 harder grade though cause it doesn't pour well into the mould.

pure lead melts lower and releases from the mould better though.
    just wondering , what choke are you using in the shotgun ?

ive been given an old benelli 3 shot auto with a skeet barrell and i thought of using it as a slug gun !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I use quarter now but accidentily left three quarters in when I first used it for a practice Didn't do the gun any harm but I think the max for slugs is a half.

Paul

thought about doing this after watching a clip on you tube " how to make shot gun slugs by bushboy "
    It will be good to see how they work out for you
    Joe
    Love a lot trust a few but alway paddle your own canoe.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

I am well impressed, as a total amateur to slugs or wild boar shooting, its something i desperatly want to get into when my work situation settles. Best of luck i look forward to reading of your succcesses.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    I use quarter now but accidentily left three quarters in when I first used it for a practice Didn't do the gun any harm but I think the max for slugs is a half.

Attachment 5374
    This is what happens when amateurs play with things they no little or nothing about this person only lost there fingers .

Marine boy if your impressed with Paul's comments I'd think again.

When barrels have a catastrophic failure you usually start to loose bits of your anatomy, just lucky your not playing with rifled slugs they wouldn't have gone through a 3/4 choke no more then 1/4 to improved cylinder , and you'll not have to learn to wipe your chocolate whizz way with the other hand.