Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bore Snake

Bore Snake

Oryt chaps, not sure if this has been discussed on here before, but just thought I would ask. When using a bore snake in a rifle, does it matter which end of the rifle I put the snake in from?

Just curious.

Cheers,
    Willie

I put it in the breech, makes more sense.

I was always taught to clean a rifle from the breech end, boresnake or cleaning rods everything should travel up the barrel the same way as the bullets.
    You don't want to push or pull any muck towards the action.
    Also with a boresnake be sure to pull it straight out of the muzzle, any side pressure could wear the crown over time and affect accuracy.

A bore snake can wear away a steel barrel??? Surely a bore snake is nylon and at worst some brass brushing material.

Not buying that one.

you cant beat the good old ways using a cleaning rods

Quote Originally Posted by gonefoxin View Post
    you cant beat the good old ways using a cleaning rods
    Totally agree - there are really only two good reasons in owning a boresnake - good for removing debris that may have lodged in the bore (snow, mud etc) when out in the field. Secondly - my preferred option - good for keeping your trousers up.

308boy,

Nylon will wear down steel, ask any trawlerman.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    A bore snake can wear away a steel barrel??? Surely a bore snake is nylon and at worst some brass brushing material.

Not buying that one.
    wear it!!

With enough usage of any pull through'd barrel can suffer from a fault known as cord wear. This was a common fault in older lee enfield rifles. I guess that was down to their length of time in service and the meticulous cleaning regime back in the day.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    wear it!!

With enough usage of any pull through'd barrel can suffer from a fault known as cord wear. This was a common fault in older lee enfield rifles. I guess that was down to their length of time in service and the meticulous cleaning regime back in the day.

Dave
    You lads are priceless. quoting trawlermen and nylon ropes etc. What do you think the nylon ropes are soaked in when they pass through the steel eyes?? maybe a highly corrosive liquid??????

Lee enfields??? Cord wear is the least of your worries, as long as the bolt stayed in the action you were laffing. Was nylon invented back then???

I Agree to disagree, this place is full of urban myths.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    308boy,

Nylon will wear down steel, ask any trawlerman.

Stan
    How about we have an experiment?? I'll give you a nylon brush and a block of steel. You could come back and give us the verdict when you wear a half tho off of the block!

Seriously, I have heard this argument all of my life and aside from those blasted stainless steel brushes, most bore wear has been found to be attributable to the rod, not the brush.~Muir

PS: Maybe I should go with this? I could sue the toothbrush companies for the need for dentures!!
    Last edited by Muir; 10-03-2011 at 13:56.