Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy, cheap guns

Accuracy, cheap guns

Im runnin g a rem 700 in .308 and a howa 1500 in .243, now both will give 1-1/1/2 groups at 200yds with home loads. My question is am I just lucky or are we all getting this kind of accuracy from the cheaper end of the market? And if so why spend much more!

JMT

That's a very good question. My question to you is, where does your first cold bore shot go? Is it predictable and consistent with the later shots or not? When stalking it's my first shot that I want to count. I don't often fire a second shot.

Rgds JCS

Quote Originally Posted by JMT View Post
    Im runnin g a rem 700 in .308 and a howa 1500 in .243, now both will give 1-1/1/2 groups at 200yds with home loads. My question is am I just lucky or are we all getting this kind of accuracy from the cheaper end of the market? And if so why spend much more!
    well im using a ruger m77 in .270 thats shoots raggardy holes at 100m and i paid 270 for it !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

JCS I find that if I dry patch the bore with passion then thats not a problem. But if I am half harted then its been 4" out at 200 yds. must admit 2 test fire before stalking.

JMT

Thanks for your candid reply. I think/hope that consistent performance of my first shot is one of the things I have bought since trading in my Rugers. However, as I didn't reload when I had Rugers it's not a foregone conclusion. All I do know for certain is that I have spent a lot of money on rifles, moderators, bipods, slings, telescopes etc to get to the two rifles in my gallery. It's not been money wisely spent, but it has been an interesting journey.

Rgds JCS

Run a patch wet with meths through then a dry patch, should bullets should print ok then if bore and rifling is ok. Meths dissolves oil and dry patch soaks up any residue.

Meths a useful for cleaning as well, first with meths second with dry second with meths second dry, shouldn't be a lot of cleaning needed then unless bore pitted or rough or only cleaned once or twice a year. On a hand lapped barrel should be clean then but remember to oil barrel after cleaning as all oil gone from barrel.

Bob

Cheers Bob ,will give it ago. I always dry prep with 4*2 but guess sometimes oil residue must get left.But then with good resultson a cheap rifle why spend more money ,not on about barrel prep ok. I have restocked and bedded the rem as the sps stock was rubbish so that partly answers my own question!

I find peoples idea of cheap varies an awful lot. To some 1000 is cheap to others perhaps 600 my own definition of cheap is under 150 so to me neither the Remington or Howa come into cheap cost wise.

Just look into the gunshops what new rifles cost...
    the brands or models that cost the least are the cheap ones...simple

Wouldn't take second hand into account.
    Do they still make BSA and Parker Hale?
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Wouldn't take second hand into account.
    why not? some of the second hand rifles have fired less than a box of rounds and a going for a song!
    lot of people selling rifles/shotguns they didnt use very often because the hassle of holding on to them