Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting ability?

Shooting ability?

When I come stalking, I know that I need to show my proficiency with a rifle. I have seen that one should be able to keep three shots in four inches at 100yds. How is this done? Is it off a bench, sticks, what? thanks, capt david

Depends where you go ? usually sticks or bipod

Regular Poster
    The requirment is to be able to put 3 shots inside a 4" inch circle from the prone(laying down) using bipod or bag ect to rest on, if desired.

ATB Barry

As others have said you are usually required to shoot this prone, though I'd guess you can use any position you like.

DSC 1 is the "exam" that many stalkers in the UK take and so represents about the minimum standard that is "expected" from a shooter. This is not the test you will take when asked to shoot at the target when stalking, that will normally be 3 shots in a group, but it gives you some idea of the general standard that is accepted and normal within UK deer stalking. This is taken from the DMQ site http://www.dmq.org.uk/dsc1assessment.htm

4. Shooting. This has 2 parts. First, the candidate must put 3 shots inside a 4 inch circle on a zero target from 100 yards. Three attempts at this are allowed in any one day. When that has been achieved, the candidate can then have 3 attempts (in any one day) to put:

• (a) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 100 yards (in any position using normal stalking aids such as rucksack or bipod);
    • (b) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 70 yards sitting or kneeling (again normal aids such as bipod or sticks may be used);
    • (c) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 40 yards standing (sticks may be used).

Quote Originally Posted by barry thom View Post
    The requirment is to be able to put 3 shots inside a 4" inch circle from the prone(laying down) using bipod or bag ect to rest on, if desired.

ATB Barry
    Correct.
    Also I would expect the guest or stranger to have a decent group and not shots scattered all over the target.
    Small adjustments can then be made.
    If the shooter is unable to shoot a reasonable group off a good rest when not under stress or perhaps tired he cannot perform better on the quarry species.
    The group size he puts on then decides at what range you are going to permit him to shoot, a scattered four-inch group equates to a 100 shot at a Deer by MY rules.
    I would NEVER permit a stranger to attempt a shot at 100 yds off the sticks but would do it myself in an emergency to clean up a `cock shot`.
    We read on these forums of `Daniel Boones` who shoot creatures at vast ranges with great precision off sticks and at ranges of even 500 yds.
    Over the last 30 years or so I have run stalkers shoots every year and marked the cards. Many people never score 30/30 on the standard one inch bullseye at 100 yds off a good rest.
    At our Autumn shoot last year 25 persons participated and only two managed the 30/30 , some of whom were shooting custom rifles.

HWH.

My clients have to usually check on my steel deer target off sticks at about 60-80m's x2 shots if they are good.
    No use off bipod as only 4-5% of shots taken that way, 75% off sticks.

Have you ever considered running courses on shooting off sticks and other positional shooting John?

If you were nearer to me I'd be signing up for the first one and am sure there is demand for such a thing. I try to practise a bit off sticks but without guidance from someone watching me it is hard to work things out and I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels like this.

I guess the other option is to run such a course over a few days for a small number, or one on one, with stalking in the morning and evening. It might work well with does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lee View Post
    Depends where you go ? usually sticks or bipod
    would that be chop sticks Bruce ?

A couple years ago, I started range testing for all shooters coming out on my grounds.

Today, even with prior warning and requests that folks show up, ready to hunt - seven out of ten shooters will need to adjust their sights!

I like to check rifle/sight function from the bench at 100m. We have the option of shooting from a high seat if that is likely to be the most likely shooting position, though I will normally then close to 80m and after a briefing, get the clients shooting kneeling/sitting & standing from twin sticks.

As has been said, 95% of shots are taken from sticks if a client is foot stalking in this part of the world.

Rgds

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    A couple years ago, I started range testing for all shooters coming out on my grounds.

Today, even with prior warning and requests that folks show up, ready to hunt - seven out of ten shooters will need to adjust their sights!

I like to check rifle/sight function from the bench at 100m. We have the option of shooting from a high seat if that is likely to be the most likely shooting position, though I will normally then close to 80m and after a briefing, get the clients shooting kneeling/sitting & standing from twin sticks.

As has been said, 95% of shots are taken from sticks if a client is foot stalking in this part of the world.

Rgds

Ian
    and just to make it interesting, he fills the range with cattle its damn hard to concentrate with a size humongous tongue trying to insinuate it into your ear canal
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."