Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms Acts

Firearms Acts

We've already got the Home Office Guidance to Police available from the sticky at the top of this section.

If it helps members to be able to read the actual Firearms Acts to which the Guidance often refers here are the links to the original 1968 Act and successive Amendment Acts:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/contents

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/45/contents

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/5/contents

Admin, would it be possible to make this another sticky or maybe merge the links with the HO Guidance post?

What about the new guidance i posted and all the other acts, regulations and orders than all have bearing on the main 3 acts? Its not as simple as 3 acts gents i can assure you

And the police dont have to follow the guidance anyway it would seem given the conversation I had today with my FEO.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

If you can show you have met the terms of the guidance as an applicant or produce some other evidence about good reason then make a very hard complaint against the FEO and their manager for allowing that behaviour to flourish amongst the staff. the system and the unhelpful attitudes of the few jobsworths who bring licensing into disrepute will only go if shooters do something proactive to stop it. do not be afraid, they will handle you with kid gloves in the future if your complaint is genuine and structured. if the FEO moans or becomes malicious about your complaint hit em again with a polite assertive complaint quoting what happened and that it appears to be an issue if sour grapes.

It is guidance but each chief officer is signed up to it so every example within it must be followed where the applicant shows good reason

the cops cant choose to ignore an example shown in guidance e.g. "You cant have a dispatch pistol because this force doesnt like it nor parliaments law"

case law states that the cops must not look from the standpoint of an objector.

Its the examples that are not in guidance that can cause problems. That is when some forces refuse to depart from guidance to suit their objections but the introduction to the guidance allows them to deviate. For example the guidance doesnt deal with section one artillery on tanks for re-enactment purposes but the police have no just cause to refuse a sound application.
    Last edited by mperring; 28-12-2012 at 23:38.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    And the police dont have to follow the guidance anyway it would seem given the conversation I had today with my FEO.
    Oh - do tell

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

In time, in time
    I should say it is my FEO's manager that doesnt seem able to follow recommendations of said FEO in which HO guidance IS being recommended. Thats the confuddling part....FEO says condition should read 'xxxxx', in line with HOG but the manager 'doesnt like that wording'!!!!
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    In time, in time
    I should say it is my FEO's manager that doesnt seem able to follow recommendations of said FEO in which HO guidance IS being recommended. Thats the confuddling part....FEO says condition should read 'xxxxx', in line with HOG but the manager 'doesnt like that wording'!!!!

Then i would suggest you send the manager this -
    http://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm/...44064E62F3689D

And ask the manager to fully justify why not, what the public safety issues are and to show his or her working as to how they came to arrive at that decision. All public servants have to justify their decisions and they should be reasonable.

Very interesting read...thankyou.
    It would appear from first perusal that the condition being considered is both unreasonable in terms of Wednesbury restrictive to the point of being impractical.
    My license is open.
    I have the condition 'shoot foxes whilst deer stalking' already on there for my .243 and my .308 is restricted to boar and deer only so in theory I cant shoot foxes at night with my .243 nor foxes with the .308 during the day.

I think a letter might have to wing its way to those concerned.

I should mention these are not the conditions I'm worried about!!!
    Quad sticks

When my renewal came up 6 years ago I owned a .22RF and a .243 for fox and deer and had done so for the previous 5 years. At renewal and when my FEO turned up at my house with my new ticket I was informed by him that I could no longer shoot foxes with the .243 and if I wanted to continue to do so I must get another rifle in any of the .22CF calibres. When I said that I had no permissions for such a rifle he said "no problem, just send a covering letter saying head of firearms said it's ok" and that's what happened and I bought myself a .223. Just plain bonkers. The condition they put on my .243 was for deer and occasional fox. Huh