Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: certification for homeloading

certification for homeloading

Do I need any?
    I contacted my local firearms enquiry team and they said just to write to them informing them of my intent to homeload, but I thought that I would need to acquire an explosives certificate.
    Any helpful advice is welcome.
    Thanks
    Geoshot

I have an explosives certificate but I only need it because I play with black powder. Normal powders for homeloading are classed as propelants and not explosives hence no need for an explosives certificate.

To reload you do not need any additional certification unless you want to use black powder, then you would need an Acquire and Keep explosives license, but as modern powders are classed as propellants and not explosives then you can purchase without an explosives license and store in limited quantities along with primers, if you search for MESR regulations which will give you a good idea of what is allowed.

5 Kg of Shooters powder without registration, just checked
    Last edited by HOWDAH; 10-03-2011 at 15:11.

Cheers for that Gimlet
    Given the conflicting advice I have received from some of the firearms enquiry team in the past I thought it better to check.
    The explosives certificate application form isn't exactly clear on the issue either, but that's no surprise.
    Thanks

No, no need for any certification and there is certainly no need to write to the firearms licensing department unless you wish to up your holding to take account of additional expanding bullets -it's up to you what you do in the privacy of your own home! It's propellant powder you'll be purchasing not 'explosive' such as black powder.

You will need to produce your FAC when you purchase expanding bullets/missiles in order to prove to the RFD that you have the correct condition on it to possses such prohibited items, but the RFD does not have to enter the purchase on your FAC - just note it in his dealers register.

Be aware that expanding bullets are classified as 'ammunition' in their own right by virtue of S.5 Firearms Act 1968 and will count towards your overall ammo allowance even if not loaded into 'fully assembled' ammunition. Check out this thread in the Legal Issues section for further info on that aspect: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...nition-bullets

Good luck and enjoy it.
    Last edited by Orion; 10-03-2011 at 15:15.

As an 'ex-cop' I can understand your wish to stay on the right side of the law.

You've referred the question to a 'civilian' police department, and received erroneous advice. That's quite common, and may get worse as more front-line officers with experience leave the service under the new tory regime. What more b**sh*t are they going to come up with?

You can handload as much ammo as you like subject to your Part II FAC limits. No certificate or diplomas needed... just follow recommendations as it's your neck. You don't need an Explosives Licence until you exceed a personal holding of 5 KGS of smokeless powder, or use Blackpowder .... which is unlikely.

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    As an 'ex-cop' I can understand your wish to stay on the right side of the law.

You've referred the question to a 'civilian' police department, and received erroneous advice. That's quite common, and may get worse as more front-line officers with experience leave the service under the new tory regime. What more b**sh*t are they going to come up with?

You can handload as much ammo as you like subject to your Part II FAC limits. No certificate or diplomas needed... just follow recommendations as it's your neck. You don't need an Explosives Licence until you exceed a personal holding of 5 KGS of smokeless powder, or use Blackpowder .... which is unlikely.

ATB
    Nice answer, but could do without the political commentary, thanks.

more the truth than politcal comment?

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    more the truth than politcal comment?
    nope definitely political comment
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

The fact that someone would even feel the need to post such a question makes me sad for you folks.~Muir