Ive just got my first deer.

Goz

Hello all,

Yesterday 10/3/11 i shot my first Muntjac (and my first deer as well), i am very pleased with myself for this and have decided to keep the skull as a memento. I have boiled the skull down and will be putting it in peroxide later; however i have not got a clue how to fix it to a wooden trophy shield.
Is there a way to do this, or is it just lots of hot glue from a glue gun???

Any suggestions please would be really appreciated on this

G

Congratulation Goz :cool:

Any pics?

Can't help you with the trophy shield as I've never done one, but I'm sure one of the others will be along to help you soon!

really pleased, have a silly grin on my face today. I used an estate rifle (Tikka 243.)

I’ve got a firearms ticket but no deer calibre yet. FEO has advised me to get as many "paid for" stalks under my belt as poss, then do my DSC1 done, then he can see no reason for me not being given a variation on a deer calibre.

nice one that will be it now look forward to reading more as long as you have booked days you should get deer on your ticket i did two paid and had two more booked in advance befor i put in ,atb wayne

Either screw through the back of the wooden mount into the back of the skull or drill two holes a couple of inches apart then wire the skull to the mount

Well done Goz :D, as mereside says, get proof of some booked stalking and then i cant see why they wouldnt allow you a deer calibre.

Well done mate! cracking result. I still remember my first fallow pricket, will remember it forever and will also remember the guid who got me my first deer! I am sure this will be a first of many! With regards to the skull mounting, when ever I have done roe I glued a small block of wood into the brain cavity of the scull and then screwed from the back of the shield into the block. The wire method as limulus sugested works well too. All the best, Mo

cracking picture and nice deer, I've wondered a bit on the proof they seem to require and personally if you have a receipt thats one thing, that picture and a series like it would seem good proof to enclose if they really want you to demonstrate that you've shot a few

Nice one Goz. It is exactly one year since I got my first, a Muntjac doe, and still love every day I can get out there.

Some fine venison to look forward to as well.

Well done Limulus & Mo,

Ive got a fox skull knocking around the garage so i will have a practice on that first.

Last edited:
cracking picture and nice deer, I've wondered a bit on the proof they seem to require and personally if you have a receipt thats one thing, that picture and a series like it would seem good proof to enclose if they really want you to demonstrate that you've shot a few

This is a good tip Mo. When my FLO came round to do my FAC I showed him a video of my first deer, which I shot under the guidance of John Yorkshire - Roe. Now, when I ring up for things they often say "are you the bloke who had a video of him shooting a deer". Apparently they all watched it on U Tube in the office.

Pics of you with a deer and a big grin won't do your case any harm.

Re. the mount - I just finished my first one. I went with a rod through the plate and into the skull. If you do this method I suggest putting some extra glue round the part of the skull that you're going to put the rod through. It should help when you come to tighten it up.

Well done with it.

Cheers,

Bob

Congratulations!

Hi Goz, well done!

You can get skull fixing clamps for roe deer, they should fit a muntjac skull as well and come with instructions. Take the canine teeth out before you bleach the skull, then pop them back in later with a bit of superglue. I keep the skulls intact and just hang them on a nail.

Enjoy the trophy and the venison - muntjac taste great.

Hessian

Well done Goz, i know how you feel, i'm a couple of deer in front of you and it feels the same everytime (still shake and can't stop the heart thumping in me ears:D) When i applied for my deer rifle (.243 T3) i just said i intended to pay and play on the deer whilst on annual holiday and do the DSC when i could, i got an open ticket for the rifle without any bother:eek:,effectivly it could have meant that i was in posession of a deer calibre rifle with an open ticket having never even seen one in the flesh, ludicrous aint it? I must add here that although i have shot rifles for years i have only been out for deer with an experianced stalker( my decision) i was also told by a local RFD that i wouldn't get a .243 for foxes as Kent force wont allow it, but i did, seems it depends on where you live mate

Back