Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about the gralloch. (DSC1)

A question about the gralloch. (DSC1)

Right, your doing your DSC1, the weather is fowl it`s just stopped raining. The floor is muddy. You`ve just shot a Deer.
    You have just removed the stomach and you come to the edible offal. Can you.......... Inform your assessor that you would rather remove the offal back at the larder as the conditions in the field are not, in your opinion, siutable to perform a hygienic removal of the edible offal?
    basil.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Re: A question about the gralloch. (DSC1)

Quote Originally Posted by basil

Inform your assessor that you would rather remove the offal back at the larder as the conditions in the field are not, in your opinion, siutable to perform a hygienic removal of the edible offal?
    Do you mean DSC 2? Didn't come accross this on my DSC 1, I only did it 2 weeks ago...

Anyway, can't see why not, I know many people who leave the "pluck" in the carcass.

TJ

Sorry TJ, i was using DSC1 as an example. Having not done either yet i just picked one of the two.
    basil.

Davie
    basil the smaller the cut and the less messing about in the field the better so yes the pluck can be left in. I would not recommend this if you are a very long way from home etc.

basil,

No problem at all with that approach if circumstances dictate..

Again depending on the circumstances and species involved, you could also do a full suspended grolloch and simply bag up the offal you wish to take back. Remember though that you must inspect the pluck before dispossing off it...
    Regards,

Peter

Do the field gralloch ,the rest done at larder its more hygenic and easier on a garbrel I did so on my dmq 2

Account Suspended
    `What a load of ********

No you cant do the inspection at home not if your with a DSC2 assesor.

It is quite clear whilst carrying out a stalk an assesor needs to see that you are fully competent in the following.

A. identifying the beast and sex also he needs to be at the side of you or in very close proximity so that he can see that you are proficient whilst taking of the safety etc.

B. He needs to see that you are competent in visualy observing that the deer you are shooting is in either good or bad condition as this is important and acting in a normal manner.

c. He needs to be at the side of you whilst doing the inspection of the beast prior to gralloch to ascertain if the beasts suffers from contagious deseases and that you are competent in identifying such if present. Such as T.B Foot and Mouth and Anthrax

He will need to see the intestines in particular the jejenum so that you can identify the mesenteric glands to see if they are enlarged along with the pluck to check the portal nodes and medistinal nodes and both bronchial nodes on the pluck also the lung tissue itself for evidence of T.B and the internal rib cage for lesions, he will also need to see the gland on the liver as well, also the retro pharyngeal glands at the back of the tongue and the submaxillary glands in the upper cheek for signs of TB and foot and mouth. If the carcass was removed to a larder before these examinations took place then the answer to your question is a definite no. Unless of course the assesor accompanied you back and watched you do the inspection.

Regards Stu

The correct procedure would be remove the carcass from contaminated area pref in a roe sack affording it some protection to an area that is more cleaner and carry out the above proceedures there in view of the assessor.

there again if its for your own consumption and your not being assessed you could do anything you liked with it including dragging it through a cess pit if you wanted to

Just Joking of course
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 22-06-2010 at 07:01.

[QUOTE=Mannlicher_Stu;111203]`What a load of ********

the answer to your question is a definite no. Unless of course the assesor accompanied you back and watched you do the inspection. QUOTE]

Simply put:

Yes, you can take the beast to a larder and perform the gralloch in the company of your Approved Witness.

To avoid excessive delay in gralloching, the larder needs to be close by or you will need to remove the green offal in a clean area, prior to transport.

While he will be happy to see you demonstrate your knowledge of the whole lymphatic system, he is actually checking to see you can identify the Sub maxillary, Retro Pharyngeal & Mesenteric nodes.

Rgds

Ian
    Last edited by IanF; 22-06-2010 at 08:00.

I would much rather see a candidate do a field gralloch in the woods then return to the larder to complete the lardering and inspection process. This allows him to demonstrate that he is confident working in both environments. It also allows for minimum cuts to be made in the field, before transport, where the risk of contamination is highest.

I am also happy for the candidate to elect to simply bleed the beast in the field and do the remainder of the work in the larder if it is close enough to be reached within an appropriate time, depending on the season, but I would advise a candidate not to do all three grallochs in a larder as the Assessor is likely to pick up on this and look for more evidence that the candidate is competent to work in the field too.

Having said this, remember the portfolio is 'candidate led' so you can work however you want and the AW should simply record what he sees and ask questions that are relevant.

If, for whatever reason, the AW does not accompany the candidate back to the larder then, obviously, he would need to witness the inspection in the field and would be likely to ask extensive questions in order to allow the candidate to demonstrate his knowledge of larder proceedures.

JC
    Last edited by JC275; 22-06-2010 at 08:50.

Account Suspended
    [QUOTE=IanF;111216]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    `What a load of ********

the answer to your question is a definite no. Unless of course the assesor accompanied you back and watched you do the inspection. QUOTE]

Simply put:

Yes, you can take the beast to a larder and perform the gralloch in the company of your Approved Witness.

To avoid excessive delay in gralloching, the larder needs to be close by or you will need to remove the green offal in a clean area, prior to transport.

While he will be happy to see you demonstrate your knowledge of the whole lymphatic system, he is actually checking to see you can identify the Sub maxillary, Retro Pharyngeal & Mesenteric nodes.

Rgds

Ian
    Its alright being able to identify them Ian but you need to demonstrate not only where they are but what they would look like if infected and the carcass needs cooling quickly as per the food hygiene regs, leaving the pluck in for any length of time will extend the cooling process considerably, not all stalkers have larder facilities on their ground and mine are 150 miles away from my stalking patch like most stalkers so it is imperative that the carcass is cooled and dealt with in as quick a manner as possible.

I can just imagine what my DSC2 AW would have said if I wanted to complete the gralloch at home, he would i think have laughed his ******** off
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 22-06-2010 at 09:11.