Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 7600 Pump Action

Remington 7600 Pump Action

Hi all, i was wondering does anyone have any opinions and or experience of this rifle.I like the look of this for driven boar,i would probably go for 270 calibar so as i could use it in France but i might have it in 30-06 as i already have this calibar and i would also have a back up rifle.Thanks in advance, Tusker.

Tusker

CF pumps are section 5 in the UK some of our over seas members might be able to give you the info’ you need. I guess if you were going to keep it over seas no problem but I doubt you will get a section 5 permit for one here.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Thar; 11-03-2011 at 20:32.

They are quite popular in France. 280rem and 300win mag seem to be the preferred calibres. However, if you are going to store this over there, you might as well go for the semi auto version.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

SD Regular
    They are quite popular in France. 280rem and 300win mag seem to be the preferred calibres. However, if you are going to store this over there, you might as well go for the semi auto version.
    Pretty much +1 to the above except that there is still some benefit to the pump action in terms of more flexibility with homeloads. You can make "squib" loads or rather light loads (or light bullet loads) that may or may not function the semi-auto. Plus in theory a wider powder choice.

Personally if I were to go down the sem-auto route I'd look at the Browning BAR rather than Remington's offering. There are, unknown to us Brits post Margaret Thatcher whose government banned them, rather a lot of good self-loading sporting rifles.

Winchester, Benelli, Browning, maybe still Heckler and Koch etc., etc. Just remember if it is for France don't go 30-06 or 308!

Thanks lads, i had totaly forgotten that the pump action cf rifles were bannedbloody typical.I agree with you enfield the Browning bar is agood bit of kit.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Pretty much +1 to the above except that there is still some benefit to the pump action in terms of more flexibility with homeloads. You can make "squib" loads or rather light loads (or light bullet loads) that may or may not function the semi-auto. Plus in theory a wider powder choice.

Personally if I were to go down the sem-auto route I'd look at the Browning BAR rather than Remington's offering. There are, unknown to us Brits post Margaret Thatcher whose government banned them, rather a lot of good self-loading sporting rifles.

Winchester, Benelli, Browning, maybe still Heckler and Koch etc., etc. Just remember if it is for France don't go 30-06 or 308!
    All of the above. Winchester is a modified BAR, I think, but that's OK, too. One thing to remember: Small Base, Full Length Reloading Dies. You will need them for the semi auto and pumpers. These are most common in military calibers but RCBS offers them in 270, 280, etc. My BAR will not function reliably with FL sized Aught-Six cases unless they have been sized in a Small Base Die Set. ~Muir

SD Regular
    I've actually SB ("Small Base") RCBS dies for my 6mm Remington, 270 Winchester and 280 Remington! They are cheap off US eBay! I use them to initially re-size any once fired brass I buy secondhand in that calibre. Then after that my normal or neck-size dies.

The only way around your problem then is a lever action rifle! That narrows the field to Winchester - the Model 88 or Sako - the Finnwolf (or is it Finnbear?). Or the Browning BLR.

For boar an ideal might be the Winchester in 358 Winchester of 284 Winchester. But you could be twenty years finding one! Or maybe lucky and see one in an auction or on UK guntrader next week!

Plus Mr. Marlin in various calibres. The Winchester 94AE in 307 Winchester or 375 Winchester might be a possibility too.

As for the ban on centrefire pump action rifles you can pretty much thank the BDS for that! Douglas Hogg had written or verbal intercourse with then then top levels of BDS in which they assured him that pump action centrefire rifles were "unneccessary" for deer stalking!

Muir, Do you have to use IMR 4064 or similar with the 30-06 in the BAR just as I read that Re-22 won't function a Garand because the pressure burn length is "wrong" with Re-22 for the M1? So IMR 4064 is the "go to" powder? Does IMR 4064 offer any advantages to us bolt action only Brits in say 270 or 280 with 150 grain or heavier bullets?
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 12-03-2011 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post

Muir, Do you have to use IMR 4064 or similar with the 30-06 in the BAR just as I read that Re-22 won't function a Garand because the pressure burn length is "wrong" with Re-22 for the M1? So IMR 4064 is the "go to" powder? Does IMR 4064 offer any advantages to us bolt action only Brits in say 270 or 280 with 150 grain or heavier bullets?
    IMR 4064 is my top powder in the BAR and I used it in my Garand as well. My Marine Corps long range shooting buddy absolutely LOVES it in his 7.62 Nato bolt-actioned "business" rifle with 155 grain bullets. I used it in 243, 6,5x55 and 30-06 as well. It is a very versatile powder that has delivered great accuracy in most of my rifles. As I indicated, it is the TOP powder for my Browning. As to an advantages in bolt guns in 270 and 280, and without looking at any data, I'd say no. The 4064 is so much faster burning than RL22 that I can't see you getting up to highway speeds before you hit peak pressures~Muir

So forget the pump option.I have had a look the Winchester 88,how well does this perform.There are loads of them on US auction sites mostly 308 but some 358. Next question....how would one go about shipping it from U.S.?
    Tusker

You'd best visit the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms web site, then the U.S. Customs website and get your info there. Then talk to the dealer that is selling the firearm.

Remember that a Model 88 Winchester is long out of production and the Winchester that made that rifle is defunct. If it breaks, you will be up the creek without a paddle. A Savage Model 99 lever gun or better, a Browning BLR would suit you better in that event. For autos, the BAR is a time tested standard.~Muir