Thread: first rifle

first rifle

hi guys, im looking at rifles for deer stalking in woodlands,being old school i really fancy an old bsa .243. Can you tell me the pros and cons, Also how do they compere with modern stuff MANY THANKS TONY

Quote Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
    hi guys, im looking at rifles for deer stalking in woodlands,being old school i really fancy an old bsa .243. Can you tell me the pros and cons, Also how do they compere with modern stuff MANY THANKS TONY
    the opinions on this will vary dramatically with soem saying it's not worth bothering with and those like myself who like them a lot and rate them highly . One thing I will say to watch out for it that I have come across several that are for sale due to poor grouping. The barrel is fine just that some plonker ahs had a go at free floating the barrel and screwed it up and messed the bedding up in the process . Sometime all it requires is a bedding correction but others like the Majestic featherwight in 270 i acquired a few months ago it really needs a replacement stock as it's so bad. Not the rifles fault but the plonker who ballsed it up.

Another point to watch is with the older models like the Hunter, Regent, Majestic and 1st pattern Monarch they have the dovetailed action and use P-H rings. Hilver-B-Square do make them, in fact I just got a set of 30mm rings to put on the Monarch action , but you not likely find them in the local shop.

You'll notice that if you read back through threads on the SD site that I think they are better made than a lot of the modern poduction rifles.

hi biker 1
    i have been stalking for only a few years but have only ever been able to afford a new air rifle. my stalking rifle is a 243 brno 537. about 30 years old i think but shoots superb. it cost 350 quid and shoot as good as my friends sako 75 costing twice as much second hand. tomorrow i am taking this rifle to the gun shop to part exchange it for a parker hale 1100 lwt in 308 costing 425. also a rifle from the early 1980s. yes you have to be careful with any second hand rifle bu tif it looks well looked after and you know the dealer seller you should be ok. have fun looking. i have always liked parker hale rifles and tomorrow i hope to own one. so the right one will come along. good luck and enjoy

regards pj

This will be a long un

Ljt had a bsa .243 on here a few weeks ago 125.00 with mounts
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

hi pj1 thanks for the reply, had a look at lots of rifles but found most to be too heavy for my little frame lol. I went stalking on thursday night using a winchester and that was really too much to carry about, i also went out stalking friday morning and used a tikka t3 hunter and found it just right in terms of weight but alas 2 stalks and no deer as of yet

Most rifles too heavy? Not to hijack the thread but rifle shooting is a physically demanding endeavor that requires some physical training. I would advise getting into a training program -including weight training- that will build your strength, lower your heart rate, and give you stamina for hiking the boonies. In addition to my exercise regimen, I will carry my hunting rifle afield on hikes, in my hands, just to have it's weight and balance become second nature. (easier to do here, I'm sure...)

Physical training is an often overlooked part of hunting and marksmanship. A person who shoots from an elevated stand may not need mountain-climber legs but the general benefits of fitness, including the lower heart rate and subsequent breath control, shouldn't be discounted as part of a stalkers equipment. You are, after all where all this fine gear and gadgetry come together; if you can't utilize it to the fullest, what's the point?? It's like owning a Ferrari with no gasoline in the tank! ~Muir

Rifles are all a matter of taste and also what feels good and fits you. My preference was for a wood and blued rifle but everyone I talked to pointed me at a weather proof rifle with a plastic stock. In the end I went with a plastic Blaser and am very glad that I did. Yes, I still look at a nice wooden rifle and take a fancy to it but in the real world of muck and rain the weather proof rifle really does make life so much easier. So, my advice is to buy the rifle that feels right for you and, if you are going to be stalking with it, consider something pretty weather proof. Last night I spent half an hour crawling about in muck and gravel and the one thing I didn't have to worry about was the rifle.

[QUOTE=caorach;201341] but everyone I talked to pointed me at a weather proof rifle with a plastic stock.............but in the real world of muck and rain the weather proof rifle really does make life so much easier. /QUOTE]

its amazing we have any 50+ year old examples of "traditional" rifles left without the advent of plastic and stainless to protect them from the elements!!
    you still have to clean your mattel rifles if they get covered in mud and rain.

biker 1 i know where your coming from being short and light myself i thought having a lighter rifle would be good. but there are some draw backs. i found my lighter air rifle is harder to hold steady than my older underlever beast. also more weight to a rifle will reduce recoil to some extent. all this though is useless if your not happy with the gun you are holding. i was recently convinced i wanted a 6.5 x55 until i was and handled the 308 i now own. it all comes down to personal choice. if i was out everyday with my rifle it would be synthetic and stainless no dought but as i only stalk say twice a month i like to enjoy the stalk with the rifle i really wanted not what is most "practical". i posted some pictures on the gallery recently if your interested
    regards pj