Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Similar User Names

Similar User Names

There appears to be a notable increase in the lack of imagination of members picking their user names.

I'll put the original first, and the 'sincerest form of flattery' after.

Deerman - The Deer Man

Flytie - Flytyer

Centralbeltstalker - Centralstalker

Venison17 - Venison16

Rick O Shea - Rick O Shay

Rangefinder - Rangemaster

It's made it quite difficult for me to read posts, and to understand from a glance whether the poster is someone who's posts I've been reading for years, or someone who recently joined and chose a remarkably similar user name.

Would it not be possible to give the members the opportunity to change to something more unique in order to facilitate the smooth running of the board?

There's also been confusion with Logins which have been deleted & chosen again at random by an unsuspecting member. Swede, Caprelous, 6.5x55.... would it not also be possible to withdraw user names that have an association left with them?

Just a question for JAYP,Sikamalk & CSI really!

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Will it really matter? Gryph AKA FliThai

It's tricky really, unless they have registered a name purposefully to cause confusion then they haven't done anything wrong. If it does end up causing confusion then I suppose we or the 'original' user could ask them nicely if they wouldn't mind changing. To be honest I had only noticed the centralstalker one.

Having an avatar image definitely helps, I find I recognise users more by that than the name!

Regarding the deleted names... the ones you have listed are before my time. The policy now is that we don't delete established usernames for that very reason. (eg unless it's a spam account and has only posted a few times).

Alex
    Last edited by csl; 12-03-2011 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by dl View Post
    there appears to be a notable increase in the lack of imagination of members picking their user names.

I'll put the original first, and the 'sincerest form of flattery' after.

Deerman - the deer man

flytie - flytyer

centralbeltstalker - centralstalker

venison17 - venison16

rick o shea - rick o shay

rangefinder - rangemaster

it's made it quite difficult for me to read posts, and to understand from a glance whether the poster is someone who's posts i've been reading for years, or someone who recently joined and chose a remarkably similar user name.

Would it not be possible to give the members the opportunity to change to something more unique in order to facilitate the smooth running of the board?

There's also been confusion with logins which have been deleted & chosen again at random by an unsuspecting member. Swede, caprelous, 6.5x55.... Would it not also be possible to withdraw user names that have an association left with them?

Just a question for jayp,sikamalk & csi really!
    jayp - jayb..................................
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    have another closer look!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I was thinking of changing mine to DLL could you be a chap and change yours please????

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Who am I........
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Who am I........
    You could ask CSI!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I am sure there was quite a few useing my old names but hey who am i .But the new ones comming on after the originals might just be a mistake and a simple pm from admin to recommend a name change should sort it.Unless there is something more sinister in it DL

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    You could ask CSI!
    or even Sikamalk
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses