Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7x57R

7x57R

hi
    anyone hunting with 7x57R in uk?
    what is your opinon?
    ATB
    Daniel

I use the 7x65r and love it. I use a pretty mild load of 140g bullet at 2650 fps - pretty much what the 7x57 and7x57r does. Either IMHO are a really good allrounder. The only advantage of 7x65r over 7x57r is really only on big bullets can be pushed a bit faster, but doubt that has an real effect in the field. If you have found a nice rifle / combo / drilling in either go for it. I think Jagare has a 7x57r.

More details at 7x57R Mauser | Norma Precision - ammunition

Jep, my combi is in 12-7x57R . I've shot fox, roe and moose with it . I use norma Oryx 156gr. Very accurate in my combi.

Thanks for replies.
    7x57R is more popular i sweden and it is easier to find a nice used combo in this caliber!
    a great virtue of 7x57R is it's very low chamber pressure! and enough power for average game found in europe .
    i am planing to swap one of my guns for a combo or drilling maybe in 12 or 20 gauge/7x57R.and planning to move to UK partialy(at least winters). it is why asked this question.
    best regards
    daniel

Hi Daniel

I am not sure if for the kind of hunting we do in the main that a drilling or combi would be the first choice; generally we are either deer stalking or bird shooting. I accept there are exceptions, I myself considered a combi, for shooting roe/Grouse over my pointer. But for the main part we would shoot feather with a double barrelled shotgun and use a bolt action rifle for stalking.

If you do decide to bring your 7X57R over bring plenty of brass and you’re reloading dies, I doubt any gunshops would stock Ammo for it, you would have to order it and no doubt they will change you an arm and leg for the privilege.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Hi Daniel

I am not sure if for the kind of hunting we do in the main that a drilling or combi would be the first choice; generally we are either deer stalking or bird shooting. I accept there are exceptions, I myself considered a combi, for shooting roe/Grouse over my pointer. But for the main part we would shoot feather with a double barrelled shotgun and use a bolt action rifle for stalking.

If you do decide to bring your 7X57R over bring plenty of brass and you’re reloading dies, I doubt any gunshops would stock Ammo for it, you would have to order it and no doubt they will change you an arm and leg for the privilege.

ATB

Tahr
    I have heard that there is even a limitation for bullet ownershp! is it true!
    how it works !
    i don't have hunting dogs my poor beagle died a few years ago) then it would be more hunting small deers and maybe a bird occasionally. a combo or drilling is usually a jack of all trade!! there are plenty of 7x57R cases from norma in sweden and even cheap S&B cases for reloading.
    thanks for the information.

As Thar says you tend to be out shooting after either birds or deer, very rarely both at the same time. I use my 7x65r as a single shot break action rifle and prefer it to a bolt action - where I stalk I am constantly having to go over / through fences etc and thus break action is so much easier and quieter than having to unload then reload a bolt action.

As a shotgun with just a single shot it is a bit limiting, but on many stalking trips with friends there has often been an opportunity for a potter after a phaesant / woodcock or a duck in between stalks for deer. It's this sort of flexibility that makes them really useful. I have also used the shot barrel for a close range finishing shot on one occasion on a deer that had been shot through the chest but was still conscious when I went up to it. Safer than using a rifle or knife.

yes indeed !Actually these combination guns could be very accurate! my austrian combo is much more accurate than my ruger bolt action rifle!!and can be used as single shot rifle.
    Last edited by daniel paydar; 14-03-2011 at 15:37.

Ditto re accuracy. Reloading is quick and silent, but the thin barrel does hit quickly and I do find 3 rd shot shoots high if barrel is hot to touch. But no different to most bolt guns. But just don't expect the plastic stocked, moderated, bipoded 20 power scoped boys to understand!

I have a combi in 12/76 - 7X57R, really nice caliber to shoot, I use Sierra ProHunter 140 grain as it's used pretty much exclusively for roe deer. Accuracy wise I can get three shots one after the other into a inch at 100 meters. I have Meopta scope mounted on mine 1.5-6x42 so if kept on low magnification I can have a pop at a bird which flies up.

My combi is just a cheap, mass-produced Sabatti Forest model but it shoots well so I'm happy, here's a couple of pics:

Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here