Pump action 12g rifled barrel

User00021

There is a Remington pump action 12g on Guntrader with a rifled barrel. I questioned the dealer this morning he said its S1 and has been approved by the local plod.

Looking at the legislation:

"(Firearms 1968) S5 Weapons subject to general prohibition.E+W+S
(1)A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council [F1or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers.....
[(ab)any self-loading or pump-action [F3rifled gun] other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges;"

Am i missing something?

I agree with you either it isn't rifled or it's a section 5.
Does the dealer know what he's talking about? I won't ask that question of the police because often they don't .:lol: It hasn't been deactivated has it?

The questions is, do's a rifled barrel on a shotgun make it a rifle? Or is it a shotgun with a rifled barrel. In Sweden it would be a shotgun with a rifled barrel, classed like any other shotgun. The slugs are classed as big game ammo though and you would have had to have done the big game part of the hunting exam to use them for hunting.

Yes a .729 calibre Pump action rifle. Unless there has been a change in the law recently that I am unaware of, pump action and semi-auto rifles in the U.K. are section 5 unless they are in .22 rimfire.

Historically in UK law anything that had a smooth bore barrel did not require a FAC. With certain exceptions of smooth bore guns with barrels under 9". Shot pistols.

The law the changed to increase that to 20" and eventually 24". That was up until 1988 and the beloved Mrs Thatcher's reaction to Hungerford.

Case law determined that if a gun had no rifling it was smooth bore regardless if it was chambered for a rifle cartridge. If the rifling was bored out - 303 smoothbore - it was s2. This was R v Pollard I believe.

After Hungerford you get the transfer on certain smooth bore guns to s1 - based on magazine capacity or detachable magazine - and some even (pump action, self-loading and revolver guns to s5 - based on barrel and overall length.

So is a rifled shot gun barrel s1? Or if pump action or self loading s5? Unfortunately the answer would appear to be on case law...YES! Typically a rifled choke Holland's Paradox is s1.

Also a French "woodcock gun" shot gun where the right barrel is rifled to give super up close wide dispersion and the left barrel extra full choke to take the bird far out when it stops jinking.

They would be legal on shotguns other than pump and semi autos, but the fitting of rifled chokes would make the gun a section 1 firearm. It's also been suggested elsewhere that once fitted that firearm would then remain in the higher category ?

They would be legal on shotguns other than pump and semi autos, but the fitting of rifled chokes would make the gun a section 1 firearm. It's also been suggested elsewhere that once fitted that firearm would then remain in the higher category ?

The whole law is a bloody nonsense as the chokes themselves should not be subject to any control! Why? Because they are just a tube and incapable of chambering and firing anything.

Couldn't agree more enfieldspares, we've got some bloody silly firearms laws in this country.

Back