For the technical minded

sikadog

I have in my possession 2 Ase moderators one in .25 cal one .30 cal.
So I can shoot 25.06 through the .25 cal moderator the internal bore size of the .25 cal mod is.301.
I can shoot 30.06 through the .30 cal mod which the bore size is .332.
My question is can I shoot my 270 through my .25 cal mod
The clearance on the .30.06 through .30 cal mod is 24 though and if I shoot my 270 through the 25 cal mod the clearance is 24 though.
Can anyone see a problem.

sikadog

You don't say whether or not these moderators look the same and have the same thread. If they do look the same and do have the same thread, I would be inclined to sell the .25 cal one and only use one moderator. What I would want to avoid is any possibility of the small mod ending up on the end of the .30-06. I have a single .30 cal AU-S5 which goes on both the rifles in my gallery (260 and 243).

Regards JCS

All I can say is that due to a mix up the .30 cal mod i brought has .243 baffles and I shoot the 6.5mm through it. .270 is just too big. i works OK for me. The Mod is a P8 Wildcat. I have put in for a 2nd mod for the .280 which will be a muzzle can.

Hi Keith

Normal practice is to have 0.75mm to 1.00mm clearance of baffles to bullet size, so .024” should be fine, the only proviso is that the threading job on the rifle barrel and the moderator are true to the bore and have little run out.

ATB

Tahr

Back