Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: safest round for deer

scotland near the border with england above carlisle
    View my Gallery (2)View my Gallery (2) Deer Dog Available

safest round for deer

ive read a few threads on here in the last three hours and with referance to some of the back stop discusions what rounds do people use, given that a back stop unless purpose built cannot garentee to stop a bullet.

a bullet can bounce in almost any direction and can travel miles (lets say 5 miles i dont mind if im corrected) in most parts of the country there is something within 5 miles of you, not to mention the good old rambler that goes where ever he likes. i dont think people give enough thaught to their bullet choice and just relly on the backstop

so i'll go first...... i use a 70g nosler Bt from my 243 going 3700+ fps i think it dose the job and im confident the risk is reduced significantly

what dose every one else use and why

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Hi Treestand,

I just use 100gn Norma SP in my .243, as 70gn would only be legal on Roe not Reds, Sika or Fallow. I also use a .222 with 55gn SP for roe only. I always consider where the round may go, if in doubt I just don't shoot.

[QUOTE=aliS;195604]Hi Treestand,

I just use 100gn Norma SP in my .243, as 70gn would only be legal on Roe not Reds, Sika or Fallow.

in scotland!
    In england and wales For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement. so it would be ok there as it generates over 2100 fp

btw yours will need to do 2810fps to make 1750ft-lds to be legal in scotland
    Last edited by treestand; 12-03-2011 at 23:53. Reason: added some

Yeah they meet that criteria.

I just saw your location as Scotland, I wasn't having a go...

The safest round for deer would be a 180gr bullet over no powder and no primer As for the safest round for killing deer that depends on the nut on the end of the gun as to what is safe!!

Bob.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Account Suspended
    =treestand;195598]
    a bullet can bounce in almost any direction and can travel miles (lets say 5 miles i dont mind if im corrected)
    Most improbable, if conventional lead cored soft points are use. These tend to deform dramatically on contact with any hard substance (water being the only likely exception) and, thus deformed, become very un-aerodynamic objects which will only fly briefly thereafter.

what dose every one else use and why

For the above reason I tend to stick to "conventional" lead cored bullets. Whether these are hollow point, soft point or polymer pointed is of less significance in safety terms, re; ricochet. Bonded core, Partition and Mono-metals are, by degrees, more prone to such problems though. So, require even more care.

However, all of the above said; a safe shot always looks for a good backstop before shooting.

However, all of the above said; a safe shot always looks for a good backstop before shooting.[/QUOTE]

yes, clearly you need a safe back stop,

You could paint yourself into a corner on this one. It would be so easy to checkmate every suggestion until even walking the woods or climbing up a high seat would be dangerous.

The bullet direction after being fired, and from WHAT direction is one factor,

From a high seat you are usualy shooting at a downwards angle. Hopefully, the bullet will pass on through and dissipate its remaining energy into the ground. If it strikes a big enough rock it might shatter or fly off at an angle - in smaller pieces. (Which is where another argument of NOT using a partition bullet for woodlands stalking might come into play, as a partition retains a parcel of something like 50 percent of the total bullet weight and mass - and with jagged edges attached if it skites off a rock or heavy tree trunk).

So perhaps consider a bullet which will safely fragment in the ground.

On the other hand, many high-velocity .22 centrefire bullets will use up their energy within a small carcass. There's the argument that some people will try to penetrate brush in order to reach Muntjac with .22 centrefires and come unstuck.
    Well, if they do then they are looking for problems and best to stick to the heavier calibres.

So the arguments could go on forever. It could get to the point where who would ever dare to take a shot whilst standing on the ground in woodlands.

The politician's-type evasive answer to THAT is :- Would the cull ever come in and would anyone be able to shoot a deer ? ?

All you can do is to choose the bullet which works for you and the main animal you manage, and be darned sure - or as near-as - that the bullet has as safe a backstop as possible. Perhaps the easiest answer to the question is :- Have there so far been any incidents of stray bullets from stalking pursuites, injuring or killing people in the UK ?

The last deer I killed were :- Red Hinds and calves on the open hill. Bullets were Hornady 130 grain soft points and 150 grain Hornady SST. from my SSG Mannlicher .308

Muntjac from a high seat. 110 grain Berger hollow point in .308. (I have personal experience that for me the Berger hollow point is an excellent small deer bullet which kills extremely well ). K.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.