Wheres all the Venison ??

Bernie Garland

Considering there is that much Venison shot, and put into the the food chain,But where is it ?????
I visit three traditional Butchers and never for sale there,can't find it in the Supermarkets,so were is it for sale ???

Bernie

Considering there is that much Venison shot, and put into the the food chain,But where is it ?????

Bernie

WHERE IS IT SAYS HE!!!!!!!!!!!

SOME OF IT'S IN HERE :

184.jpg

MMMMMMMM DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!

Rgds Buck.

From what game dealers tell me a lot goes abroad. Around us butchers want it and can't get enough.
One butcher I deal with wants to take at least two big reds a week off us (which is out of the question), as well as what he takes of his regular supplier.
Fortunately I carry vac packed frozen venison through the close season, keeps people happy.

I visit three traditional Butchers and never for sale there,can't find it in the Supermarkets,so were is it for sale ???

Bernie
Let me know if you find any butchers with it for sale:)

Garry

Sainburys. Their Scottish Wild Venison sausages are very good. They also used to sell Loch Rannoch smoked wild venison but I've not seen it there of late.

Certainly our local Sainsbury's has it now and again and so do Waitrose stores. I wouldn't be sure that it is wild venison and it wouldn't be local but it is venison. I've noticed that more butchers in North Wales carry it in recent years and with just two large local estates taking at least 200 fallow between them each season there's a good supply. However I have heard it said many times that, like our shellfish, most UK venison heads for Europe where they are more appreciative of it.

Waitrose sell smoked and vac packed, my father in laws butchers shop sells roe from the local estate

Most of it goes to Germany and Belgium, unfortunately the average British housewife doesn't want to know [the Bambi syndrome]

Hopefully the popularity of cooking programmes on the box may make a difference as venison is a regularly used ingredient
however having watched a few was surprised at how many people don't know what venison is.

Also many peoples first taste of venison will be in a restaurant, and the find they don't like it, whilst its possible to get good venison in a restaurant a lot of it is poor quality [rutting stag for example] the best venison being sold abroad and the crap being dumped on the home market

I'd hazard a guess that a good amount gets sold to hotels and restaraunts.

Quite simple really, it goes to the person or country that pays the most for it and is supplied by the game dealer that pays you the least for it?

my old chap used to have a job putting crimps on those he used to take his false teeth out and work is way round the rim of the cooking plate:lol:

STU, THINK OF HEALTH & HYGIENE !!!

The OLD CHAP could'nt have been very Bright, else he woud have used one of these :

Dinner%20Forks.jpg

To decorate the edge of the pie, think of all those SLEVERS!!!!!!:drool: Him with no teeth in. :rofl:

Rgds, Buck.

STU, THINK OF HEALTH & HYGIENE !!!

The OLD CHAP could'nt have been very Bright, else he woud have used one of these :

Dinner%20Forks.jpg

To decorate the edge of the pie, think of all those SLEVERS!!!!!!:drool: Him with no teeth in. :rofl:

Rgds, Buck.

Your right it wasnt a pretty sight I can tell you he looks like Old Steptoe :D
He was a dab hand at making Widows Memories out of Venison mince as well using intestines for the skin. You used to chew the bleeding things all night after you had eaten them.

Last edited:
Back