A new bullet for an old cartridge.

Muir

I had a bit of sun without too much wind this afternoon and ran a test on a new bullet for the 5mm Remington Magnum rimfire that was sent to me to evaluate. The groups at 50M were good, and I cataloged the results for the engineers, but sometimes a more graphic demonstration is required. This is three shots from a Remington rifle fired onto the box they came in. Just a bit of fun...~Muir
5mmVarmintBox31211.jpg

Last edited:
Something like this. Shorter and fatter with a slightly larger case capacity. It is a common misconception that it is a 22WMR casing necked down to .204" but in reality it's an entirely different case. ~Muir
5mm 22wmr comparison 31211.jpg

interesting.
better trajectory/ballistics than the WMR?
looks like a big HMR. all the benefits without the low weight issues?

interesting.
better trajectory/ballistics than the WMR?
looks like a big HMR. all the benefits without the low weight issues?

Bewsher5C: The current variety fires a 30 grain HP or SP at 2530 fps @ 70 degrees. The trajectory is within an inch of the HMR at 200 but, as you said, without the low weight /energy issues. The varmint version of this cartridge (the one pictured) is very destructive on rabbit sized game so you wouldn't want to hunt edible game with it. I wouldn't hesitate to take a coyote with it under 125 yards which is a task I won't put the HMR to.~Muir

Here is one for you then
60grain Vmax WMR!!

IMG_37571.jpg

no idea what it will do. just playing around.

Interestingly, that has been done. I was in on a discussion about a prototype .22WMR round that would fire a 60 grain jacketed bullet. It was eventually got the thumbs down because the velocity attainable wasn't enough to stabilize a 60 grain bullet from a 1-16" twist barrel and deliver useful trajectory and expansion. I wanted a lead bullet but that wasn't practical, nor profitable, as it was determined that few people will buy a 22WMR with a lead bullet.~Muir

Back