Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaser R93 Malfunction

Blaser R93 Malfunction

Hi Guys, I am a relatively new member of the Blaser owners club and I am already beginning to wonder if I have done the right thing
    I have only fired twenty rounds through it, eight to zero initially, then two wild Boar, then a scope swop and another nine to zero/play and another to drop a Deer
    BUT during that time I have had three 'light' strikes.
    The last one was when I was lined up nicely, having waited for the Deer to turn broadside, then by the time I had re-cocked the rifle the Deer had moved from the broadside position and made me wait another age before I could take the shot.
    I was lucky the Deer did not make off after the first click, so it was definitely a 'light' strike.
    I am not new to reloading and have tried alsorts of different primers over the years and heard people mention different thicknesses of primer referring to them as Hard and Soft and am familiar with 'short' cases not butting up to the bolt face etc etc.
    I have been reloading since the sixties and have never had this problem more than a couple of times but never with a new rifle.
    So have come to the conclusion that the striker did not strike hard enough due to a weak spring.
    Has any other Blaser owners had any similar problems.
    Last edited by EMcC; 13-03-2011 at 19:16.

No,never had a problem with them
    However I presume that your bolt was tightly closed ie right closed
    Blasers can sometimes not close properly especially if it's done slowly,I have seen this happen,just enough space for you to think it's correctly closed when it's not,the bolt arm wouldn't be in the right position either though,I would think you would notice that but it can be easily missedBest of luck with it

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

No, no you must be wrong! I distinctly remember several threads where people have catagorically said that a blaser is the best rifle you can have. It must have been a bad dream or was that paying out all that hard earned money for it

Should have bought a Sako

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Now Simon don't rub salt into the wound
    Just teething problems I'm sure,Sakos are good though

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    No, no you must be wrong! I distinctly remember several threads where people have catagorically said that a blaser is the best rifle you can have. It must have been a bad dream or was that paying out all that hard earned money for it Should have bought a Sako Simon
    Here we go I know I was one of the biggest P*** takers of those high spending/money wasting/posers with Blasers but then I thought I saw the light
    I'm beginning to think it wasn't 'The Light' it was someone returning from a lamping trip
    No, I am sure I would have been aware if the bolt wasn't right forward.
    I will be speaking to the Vendor tomorrow as soon as he is open.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Here we go I know I was one of the biggest P*** takers of those high spending/money wasting/posers with Blasers but then I thought I saw the light
    I'm beginning to think it wasn't 'The Light' it was someone returning from a lamping trip
    No, I am sure I would have been aware if the bolt wasn't right forward.
    I will be speaking to the Vendor tomorrow as soon as he is open.
    HI Eddy
    What have you started. Japan will be off the front pages tomorrow. I have never had a light strike off my Parker Hale, Remington, CZ's,Anschutz or even my Remington 597 semi auto,you were warned
    Geordie

There are two possibilities I suspect:

One is that the bolt wasn't correctly closed, as already mentioned. This can happen especially with those new to the Blaser and the mechanism of the rifle is designed to stop it firing in this situation but if the bolt is nearly closed then the mechanism will act to close the action fully on attempting to fire. Basically the energy that would have gone into the firing pin is used to click the action shut. So, you end up with a click the first time around and then on the second attempt everything works just fine. I would suggest that this is the most common and most likely cause, with the rifle empty and pointing in a safe direction etc. try it out a few times for yourself and you may be able to replicate the problem. Also if the ammo is a little tight to chamber it can give enough resistance for you to be sure the bolt is closed when it isn't. Try closing the bolt while watching the bolt handle and you will see that there is a sort of area of resistance just before the handle clicks into the fully closed position.

Number two option is that you are suffering from the Blaser misfire. Now, on some sites on the internet if you mention this your posts are immediately removed and the Blaser fan-boys will abuse you for spreading such lies. However, I have had it happen on one occasion (there might be approaching 2000 rounds out of my Blaser now) with an experienced Blaser user as a witness. We carried out some experiments and were sure the bolt was closed and yet the rifle wouldn't fire, though it did sound as if the firing pin dropped. My witness told me to remove the bolt and then replace it in the rifle and this solved the problem, that he knew to do this demonstrates something in my view! I have no idea how this solved the problem as there seems to be no logical reason why replacing the bolt would cause the problem to vanish. I am also told that some early Blasers had a significant misfire problem and that Blaser replaced the bolt but I've no idea if that is true.

With your rifle being new I guess it is also likely to be a bit stiff but in the mean time my advice is to be pretty assertive with the bolt when operating it, really make an effort to thump it closed and see if that solves your problem. If not then you might have the "misfire problem that doesn't exist" and in that case I would talk with your dealer about having the rifle looked at by the agent.

Presume you full length sized that brass? Or were they rounds from another rifle? You might need to set your dies back a little? What is interesting is how you took a rifle hunting with reloads and you obviously didn't work up a safe load. Naughty naughty. Cue britty and muir......
    Ps. You have done the right thing.
    Pps. Sako's are a bunch of arse
    Last edited by Offroad Gary; 13-03-2011 at 20:38. Reason: speckled hen

Eddy it is a very common problem on the R93 espiecially when making the change from a turnbolt.

Unlike a conventional bolt rifle you cannot gently close the bolt on a R93 if you do gently close the bolt you will suffer a high number of light strikes.

Simple answer is to be a little more forceful and robust in the operation of the bolt.