Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit of History.

A bit of History.

I do want to make one thing clear, if ya'll have read the Chilli thread. Texas used to be a part of Mexico, 'Remember the Alamo,' until we won our independence. We were our own independent country, and were first recgonized by GB, thank you very much. We then annexed the US, but decided to use that name as it was already on all the maps, hehe. capt david

if you check out the plaque in The Alamo it seems that a lot of the defenders were from over here
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

As you may or may not know, I'm a history teacher. As you also may or may not know, about one third of the defenders were Mexican. Although I don't have the facts to prove it, I bet none of the Anglo (Tex-Mex for white) defenders had been in Texas for more than ten years. Davey Crockett and his men had been for about a month. capt david

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    As you may or may not know, I'm a history teacher. As you also may or may not know, about one third of the defenders were Mexican. Although I don't have the facts to prove it, I bet none of the Anglo (Tex-Mex for white) defenders had been in Texas for more than ten years. Davey Crockett and his men had been for about a month. capt david
    Davey Crockett, was of Scottish desent,think it was on his mothers side.

We get everywhere

The largest part of the early settlers came from in and around Tennessee, not the deep South. Oral tradition calls these people 'Scotch-Irish.' capt david

And thats why the Aloamo was defended so diligently, those north of the border (North of the Wall that is) give nowt away easily
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    I do want to make one thing clear, if ya'll have read the Chilli thread. Texas used to be a part of Mexico, 'Remember the Alamo,' until we won our independence. We were our own independent country, and were first recgonized by GB, thank you very much. We then annexed the US, but decided to use that name as it was already on all the maps, hehe. capt david

Capt David

I heard that it was agreed at the time of the US annexation that Texas would retain its right to secede from the Union, and that Texas is the only State with this right specifically guaranteed.

Do you know if this is true?

With kind regards

NewForester.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    And thats why the Aloamo was defended so diligently, those north of the border (North of the Wall that is) give nowt away easily
    O so true tight as cramp comes to mind the only thing they do give away is dirty looks

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    O so true tight as cramp comes to mind the only thing they do give away is dirty looks
    As a Yorkshire man you should know, a Yorkshire man is just like a Scot but without the generosity