Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terminal effects if .243 hornady 87gr sp

Terminal effects if .243 hornady 87gr sp

Anyone use these. I'm planning on booking a few stalks on Roe and does anyone have experience if this bullet? They seem to be accurate enough on paper.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

I'd be interested in your results for sure, having recently tried to get some 87g BTHP but only found the SP.

What loads are you using so far?

Ah! excellent! I've recently started reloading with these exact rounds. Use 35.5g Varget, and seat to COAL at 2.700 in Sako 75. At 100yds they clover-leaf time and time again. Deadly on fox, and on Roe. Up to this point I can say that they expand a bit more than my previously used Norma 100g SP, but have perfectly fine penetration for deer, but I am actually quite pleased with that, as for foxes the SP wouldn't expand as much as I would like to see. For roe, the penetration is between that of a SP bullet and a ballistic tip. You still get exit wounds, and they are not too big either, so meat damage is not excessive. I used to used Scierra GameKing 85g BTHP, and they did not perform well on roe, IMHO, they hollow point was too open, so expansion was excessive with lack of penetration, the small hollow point and sleek profile of the Hornady, means you get accuracy, penetration, and expansion. I can only recommend this based on my experience with it over the last few weeks, NOT months or years though.

hope this helps,

Thanks PKL, I thought you had been testing Hornady BTHP though, not the SP.

Quote Originally Posted by John_R View Post
    Thanks PKL, I thought you had been testing Hornady BTHP though, not the SP.
    Yep you're right, 87g BTHP, the SP I'm referring to is the norma 100g SP's I also used to use. just compared the BTHP to the SP's to talk about the difference in penetration and expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Anyone use these. I'm planning on booking a few stalks on Roe and does anyone have experience if this bullet? They seem to be accurate enough on paper.
    Yes sir, i use them exact bullets, i get mike norris to load them for me they are bloody deadly ive shot roe ,fallow and muntjac using them stops them in there tracks and damage not too bad at all.
    very very reliable and accurate out my 243.

ATB
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Yep you're right, 87g BTHP, the SP I'm referring to is the norma 100g SP's I also used to use. just compared the BTHP to the SP's to talk about the difference in penetration and expansion.
    What velocity are you getting using 35.5gr of Varget ???

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    What velocity are you getting using 35.5gr of Varget ???

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    Hi,

Dunno, don't have a chrono, but I would guesstimate around 3000+,,shoots fast and flat out to 200 yds, and bug-holes, enough for me

+1 on the hornady 87gr sp . Im getting good accuracy with 37gr of vhit n140 . No problem with roe or foxes . All the roe I have shot with them so far have gone down well and meat damage is fine.

Prov

Another thumbs up for the 87g s/p I used the m in my 243 for years and after trying many others stuck with them, great accuracy and stopping power.
    I also loaded with N140 gave me better results than varget.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................