last light fallow

SussexFallow

Hi all

Right I have a 1000 acres to shoot and the farmer is getting peed off with the fallow eating his crop and orchards. Now I sat and watched 5 last night come out to feed at 5 pm . They come from the woods on the estate next door. The wood is only 100 yards from the boundary which is a lane but they never seem to cross until after dark. How can I attract the deer over earlier to give me a chance ?

Atb Steve

Licks, OOD fruit n veg from your local shop/supermarket. I had a template letter that said something along the lines of...

Dear x,

The xxxxxx badger watch group have had great success protecting and encouraging the success of this wonderful and protected species in our area... (yeh I know :rolleyes:). We would benefit greatly from your support by allowing us to collect out of date produce items that could act as badger food to help sustain our local population. Any squashed or bruised fruit and vegetable items including bread could go towards feeding the badgers that are observed by visitors to the feeding stations that helps raise awareness of our program. Any assistance would be of great benefit, your kiss kiss kiss.

Got bags of stuff when we did this that fallow would go mental for, that and salt licks.

ps I have nothing to do with badger watch, just used the letter to get free stuff!!!!

Hi all

Right I have a 1000 acres to shoot and the farmer is getting peed off with the fallow eating his crop and orchards. Now I sat and watched 5 last night come out to feed at 5 pm . They come from the woods on the estate next door. The wood is only 100 yards from the boundary which is a lane but they never seem to cross until after dark. How can I attract the deer over earlier to give me a chance ?

Atb Steve
Apples and molases along with salt licks seem to work for me Steve, I would never shoot them while they are feeding ( so I dont class I am using it as a bait) it just seems to get them on the land earlier.

Licks, OOD fruit n veg from your local shop/supermarket. I had a template letter that said something along the lines of...

Dear x,

The xxxxxx badger watch group have had great success protecting and encouraging the success of this wonderful and protected species in our area... (yeh I know :rolleyes:). We would benefit greatly from your support by allowing us to collect out of date produce items that could act as badger food to help sustain our local population. Any squashed or bruised fruit and vegetable items including bread could go towards feeding the badgers that are observed by visitors to the feeding stations that helps raise awareness of our program. Any assistance would be of great benefit, your kiss kiss kiss.

Got bags of stuff when we did this that fallow would go mental for, that and salt licks.

ps I have nothing to do with badger watch, just used the letter to get free stuff!!!!
ill tey thay "just leave your donations next to the kennel with the terriers in"

Pierre

Thanks I put molasses and a salt lick yesterday and today found an endless supply of apple pulp from a juice maker. So fingers crossed

Atb Steve

salt licks are good for roe but ive never really managed to get the fallow interested in them. sugar beet works a treat or a bail of hay soaked in molasses! all else fails just put out some phesant feeders....they always seem to bash ours over to get the wheat out!!

Back