Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown Care

Crown Care

For those that don't know:

Many people do not know the problems that are caused by the use of a moderator. The gases that are kept inside have a tendancy to corrode the rifle crown and indeed the rifling inside the barrel.

It is therefor recommended to remove the moderator after use (not after each shot, but after your outing)

I remove mine after every outing,and smear the threads with molycote..............Martin.

I carry a tin of WD40 in my gun case and give threads on barrel and inside T8 a squirt on removal after every outing wether i fire a shot or not.
    nell

Re: Crown Care

Quote Originally Posted by jingzy
    For those that don't know:

Many people do not know the problems that are caused by the use of a moderator. The gases that are kept inside have a tendancy to corrode the rifle crown and indeed the rifling inside the barrel.

It is therefor recommended to remove the moderator after use (not after each shot, but after your outing)
    Good post. Wish i did it before the mod got welded on. I had a lucky escape.
    PLEASE, HEED JINGSY`s WARNING. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.
    basil.

Quote Originally Posted by nell
    I carry a tin of WD40 in my gun case and give threads on barrel and inside T8 a squirt on removal after every outing wether i fire a shot or not.
    nell
    i knew a guy who did exactly the same..the mod left the barrel end like an extrocett missile, when the WD ignited !! Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by MrYou
    Quote Originally Posted by nell
    nell
    i knew a guy who did exactly the same..the mod left the barrel end like an extrocett missile, when the WD ignited !! Take care.
    I was an over enthusiastic user of the WD with my T8 and always took it off..

Before each outing i pulled a dry swab through rifle and mod

Still had a mighty smoke cloud disrupting view of deer and direction if a runner..

Less is more as they say

Terry

i allways take mine off in storage,thats why i left it in staffordshire and everything else was in sussex with me ,i hope i dont do that soft trick again

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    I was an over enthusiastic user of the WD with my T8 and always took it off..

Before each outing i pulled a dry swab through rifle and mod

Still had a mighty smoke cloud disrupting view of deer and direction if a runner..

Less is more as they say

Terry
    Oh yes! Been there too with my T8 after taking the care instructions very much to heart. Mighty and rather fragrant smoke cloud. Reminded me of my student days...
    KevinF -

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Good post. Wish i did it before the mod got welded on. I had a lucky escape.
    PLEASE, HEED JINGSY`s WARNING. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.
    basil.
    it just has happened to me, fitted a bipod the other day and set off to check zero, after about a dozen shots i was a biy miffed that I couldnt get better than anout 4" at 150yds so ran into rfle craft this afternoon and he checked her over and found the crown had corroded and about the 1st 2-3mm of rifeling at the muzzle was slightly pitted, so need a re crown to get rid of the problem, barrel needs to be floated now as using a bipod, collecting her tomorrow afternoon and will have another go before the feo lady comes round, will definatley be taking the mod off now after each session

mike

Give us a heads up how better it shoots mate after the re-crown, I'd be interested to know