Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rate of fire

rate of fire

hello. was wondering what rate of fire do other members apply when shooting on the range. ie how many rounds would you put through your riffle before you would stop two let it cool down..?

If I'm practising on the range I fire 3 (or if I'm feeling wealthy, 5) shots before allowing everything to cool down again.
    Apart from practising and checking my own performance, 3-5 shots in quick succession from cold gives a good idea of how the rifle performs under likely (in theory) hind-stalking patterns of fire.

If I am testing for accuracy I want a cold barrel between shots. I will typically wait a few minutes between shots. This is where the 22 comes in. Fire 1 shot with centrefire, magazine or 2 from 22, and then back to centre fire for another shot. That way you are taking out all the variables when say load testing.

3 leave the bolt open walk down to check then 3 more

Taking two rifles and firing a group of 3 rounds from each rifle alternatively works for me. Taking 1-2 minutes per shot and cleaning the rifles every few groups.

I find using a chrono & documenting each shot on report cards also slows me down.

I've found a good way to slow things down i just let my dog out the truck and everytime the bullet strikes he runs over to the target and fannies around for a couple of minutes looking for something dead,amazing how he can hear exactly where the strike is off he runs and next shot back he goes again.

3 shot groups if I'm sighting in. When I'm shooting the running moose range i shoot a 16 shot series . The barrel get rather hot then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    I've found a good way to slow things down i just let my dog out the truck and everytime the bullet strikes he runs over to the target and fannies around for a couple of minutes looking for something dead,amazing how he can hear exactly where the strike is off he runs and next shot back he goes again.
    CHRIST Dawnraider!!!!!! I thaught you were going to say he runs down range and retreives the target for inspection,

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

one shot should tell you how well your gun is shooting, and it should still group after 5 if you using it for stalking, most tuesdays 200rds through my gsg5 let it cool

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    one shot should tell you how well your gun is shooting, and it should still group after 5 if you using it for stalking, most tuesdays 200rds through my gsg5 let it cool

STRAIGHT 200rds then let it cool, high capacity mag then TAFF!!

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"