Dumbass question dont be too hard on me!!!!!!

james19306

:confused:I am a bit new to deer species and definately do not know a lot about them, there is a picture on the forum homepage by Teckel which looks lika a small deer species but can anybody politely explain to me why it seems to have a sabre tooth tiger like tooth???

:confused:I am a bit new to deer species and definately do not know a lot about them, there is a picture on the forum homepage by Teckel which looks lika a small deer species but can anybody politely explain to me why it seems to have a sabre tooth tiger like tooth???

every day is a school day, ask away mate thats the only way to learn, i hate them people who think they no it all cus they DONT you can always learn something new.

ATB
Dave

Hi James - As per all the other comments you never stop learning about deer. Its a foolish stalker who thinks he does !!!

Hopefully ( if I get the attachment right ) you can see the mount of a Chinese Water Deer I shot on my friends land. I took the picture from the side to give you a good close up of the canines.... Was amazed the first time I saw it close up after the shot...

Good luck with your stalking.

IMAG0034.jpg

I'm in Northern ireland as well James and, of course, we don't have any sabre toothed deer here (offically) so we never see them and they don't enter into our heads nor will you meet anyone talking about them.

One thing I will say is that a CWD (Chinese Water Deer) skull looks like a truly frightening thing as when the skin is cleaned off it etc. the teeth look like they are about 3 feet long. I frequently show photos of a cleaned skull to people and inform them that the "thing" that owns it is walking around the south of England in reasonable numbers and they generally refuse to believe me. When I also inform them that it is a deer they think I've lost the plot :)

If you do your DSC level 1 then you will have to learn all about them and will find yourself in the strange position of knowing all about something you've never seen!

This site is here for everyone, there is no such thing as a dumb question if you are starting out in the world of deer stalking. I can only echo what many have already said before. Please feel free to ask what you like, that is why this site is head and shoulders above the many others.

It helps everyone, thanks to the many good members on here.

...................and inform them that the "thing" that owns it is walking around the south of England in reasonable numbers and they generally refuse to believe me. When I also inform them that it is a deer they think I've lost the plot :)

If you ever visit Whipsnade Zoo you can see any number of them wandering around the open enclosures and across the zoo farm at any time of day or night - wild free living, not captive. Between them and the Mara it can sometimes be hard to drive across the fields without hitting something.

Neil, that a fine looking deer you bagged there mate.

Hi Farmer - I was very lucky, as a couple of Muntjac were nearby and if they barked the game was up .... All went well though... the mount was done by Paul Taylor in Dorset...

All the best. Neil

The picture of NeilG's CWD head looks like a gold to me :cool:

Hi Prometheus - It went Gold in the old form at 66 points, and although you do now see bigger tusks in the Shooting Times reports, he was a good looking buck in his winter pelage. My friend who let me shoot it was gutted when he saw the head, as when we stalked in to it, the tusks were folded up under the top lip......

Back