Roe pregnancy

mudman

Can Roe doe kids get pregnant in their first year, i.e born in May, mated in August (or later 'false rut') ?

Its just that I have read the occasional article which mention pregnant yearlings, but does not say whether that is in the animals first or second year of life.

'Yearling' in animal terms is generally taken to mean between 1 and 2 years old

They are kids from birth to the following april then they become yearlings and normally in a good area yearling roe if they have reached the weight will breed that i am sure is normally around 24 28 pound. Somtimes hill roe dont make the weight and dont breed or breed late (FALSE RUT ) PS This is just an opinion and i am sure some one will have wrote it down in a book properly:lol:

I have a further question to this, me and a mate were stalking last week and even though neither of us have seen any documented proof, we are both of the opinion that pregnant Roe doe's have an anal tush which is significantly more pronounced/longer than the non pregnant ones. Anyone any further opinion or are we just seeing things?

Well i am not so sure about that mate but there posture might make there back sag and hind end will rise more . But i have removed a few tushes in my time and have noticed a difference but not normally because they are pregnant.

In winter coats the kids and yearlings tend to have a more ginger colouring through thier tush while the older does have a larger whiter appearance.

Cheers,
Mark.

In winter coats the kids and yearlings tend to have a more ginger colouring through thier tush while the older does have a larger whiter appearance.

Cheers,
Mark.

That is probably true of some areas, but as you are probably aware some areas in Scotland Roe have a white caudel patch all year round, where I stalk on the west coast then normal change from summer to winter coat but in the area local to where I live white caudel patch all year round also seen this in Aberdeenshire.

ok, it's just easier to see in winter. Plus this is when the does are getting shot.

Last edited:
Back